• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sick of IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you get out of the north west? It's grim up there, apparently.
    Manchester is a really great place to be, other than the weather it has everything you could ever need.

Having said that, I have applied for contracts in London and it is even more pointless than applying for jobs up here as its always one of the following scenarios:

-Investment Banking Experience
    -Low rate
    -No skill match

London is worse than anywhere else if you ask me. I got offers from exeter and derby.

Comment

IT market in India is doing well now - especially in Bangalore. I've no idea about the visa requirements though. Pay will be less than what you get here but Bangalore is significantly cheaper than UK and I think it will be a good experience for you.

Go to Bangalore I say ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
        If you want to stick with IT then I'd suggest looking at jobs in China. A booming economy and lots of work. Pay is lower but so is the cost of living. I guess the same could be said for India but I don't know the market out there very well.
        Genuine branded goods and anything of quality costs more or less the same the world over. If you move to a poor country and you're on a decent local wage (not on a western contract rate) unless you're a big fish you'll have to give up on a lot of your western luxuries, even if you're relatively wealthy compared to those around you.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
          Genuine branded goods and anything of quality costs more or less the same the world over. If you move to a poor country and you're on a decent local wage (not on a western contract rate) unless you're a big fish you'll have to give up on a lot of your western luxuries, even if you're relatively wealthy compared to those around you.
          Also you will have to deal with polluted air and water, diseases,huge traffic jams ,local bureucracy etc..

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Manchester is a really great place to be, other than the weather it has everything you could ever need.

Having said that, I have applied for contracts in London and it is even more pointless than applying for jobs up here as its always one of the following scenarios:

-Investment Banking Experience
            -Low rate
            -No skill match

London is worse than anywhere else if you ask me. I got offers from exeter and derby.
            Well get on your bike then. Seriously, you have two contract offers and you're pleading poverty!
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Well get on your bike then. Seriously, you have two contract offers and you're pleading poverty!
              Unfortunately, he couldn't commute on a daily basis OR being a permie he didn't want to leave 5am on a Monday morning and return 9pm on a Friday every week.

HTH

Comment

Unfortunately, he couldn't commute on a daily basis OR being a permie he didn't want to leave 5am on a Monday morning and return 9pm on a Friday every week.

I am happy to do this but it has to make it worth while in terms of extra accomodation/travel costs. £250/day just doesnt cut it especially considering i might be out a job for 6 months after.

Comment

So why didn't you take them? They are a bit of a distance but welcome to contracting. I think I probably said in some previous rose tinted thread you posted it sounds more like you see big money for no effort and you got it all wrong. Has that realisation finally hit home?

I am indeed still permie but the more I apply for contracts the more I see it as being just as bad as permie. Got a two offers in the last 3 months but just not worth it. It all sucks if you ask me.
                  We didn't ask you but unfortunately we still ended up with you crying about it. Whats not worth it? the travel, no easy money, mummy too far away to wipe your a**e? Saying it all sucks isn't really gonna get you any sympathy on here. Moan about permie life or contractor one with some basis. Just to cry like a baby doesn't paint a very good picture at all. Grow a backbone. There are guys on here not had an offer in 6 months so be thankful.

Does anybody know what the state of the IT market is like in Canada/USA? I know they pay people enough to survive on as compared to here.
                  the fact you think the market in a global industry is any different in another country really shows you have a poor grasp of your own industry. Maybe thats why you can't see the wood for the trees?

You ought to be having the time of your life at 26, doing whatever is given to you, looking for new opportunities, soaking up training like a sponge and having a 5 year plan to be up there by the time you are in your early 30's.

You have no idea what it means to be broke and not a good idea to pretend you do on a board with people being out of work for 6 months plus. Very thoughtless.

Kids
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post

HTH
                    I do that every week, from Wales To Brighton
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I am happy to do this but it has to make it worth while in terms of extra accomodation/travel costs. £250/day just doesnt cut it especially considering i might be out a job for 6 months after.
                      A one month season ticket (manchester to derby) is £417.80 - less than two days billing.

Comment

Working...
                      X