• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subject to Survey : House Buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Well, if they were supposed to, they didn't.

When the Estate Agent informed them, they said they were unaware.

I assume then that when you have a HIPS done, the person doing it doesn't clamber around the loft, and even if they did, isn't trained enough to spot asbestos ?
    of course they're not.

If it's supposed to be in the HIPs and isn't then use the fact that they did not disclose it as leverage.

Do not be afraid to go in guns blazing and negotiate hard.
    Other things you might want to look at is how long the house has been on the market
    the personal situation of the people selling ( are they desperate to flog it for some reason)
    check zoopla to get a reflection on what the house price should be, as people often take the highest price the estate agent will offer and then tack a little more onto it.
    Look at similar houses in the area and find out what they sold for.

The asbestos issue is not a small one, if you really want the house then negotiate, but if they fuss about it too much be prepared to walk away, it's not worth it.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Is this house ex-council by any chance?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Is this house ex-council by any chance?
        No idea. Built in 1970. The area is a housing estate, but none of the houses are of the Council type if you know what I mean.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I said that because council houses tend to be full of asbestos. I never leave serious negotiation to the dazzas at the estate agents, your solicitors (conveyancer) won't haggle for you, they usually get the office junior to do the mundane paperwork. I would simply ring up the vendor and negotiate direct. Remember the agents have a vested interest, and are not that bothered that you get the best deal (think recruitment agents and you won't be far wrong). Having said that I wouldn't touch a house that has asbestos in it.
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 December 2009, 14:20.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            No idea. Built in 1970. The area is a housing estate, but none of the houses are of the Council type if you know what I mean.
            If you want your house to move up in value then it will do so very slowly if it is smack bang in the middle of a housing estate.

Have you had a good look at the area?????
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              If you want your house to move up in value then it will do so very slowly if it is smack bang in the middle of a housing estate.

Have you had a good look at the area?????
              Aye, we have. It's a nice middle class area, no shops, no gangs of kids, decent motors on people's drives etc. Low crime rate, etc.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
              X