• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

moben kitchens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm learning fast.

A friend suggested the same approach. Found a local joiner already, I would rather loose the deposit altogether and employ someone local now.
    Good move. I think most of those national type companies have a 14 day cooling off period where you can change your mind. Worth a try?

BTW- I've been really pleased with the Wickes units.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      That's was with 50% off their "autumn sale" would have been £18K without the offer.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

That's was with 50% off their "autumn sale" would have been £18K without the offer.
        I have a mate who does this and just spoke to him about this, of course they're ripping people off. The markup on the actual kit is obscene without getting into the fitting / labour.

I've gone with him to help lift kit from suppliers as he's paid for it and the difference between what he pays and showroom price is shocking although those margins are getting tighter.

Best to get the kit yourself and a local team install.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Have a look online, look at the fittings on offer and then think about what you want to spend as a budget.

Go to a local company and then talk them down, as previous posters have said the mark ups are huge.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I agree. Our kitchen is barely 3m^2 and they were wanting close to £13k to fit it.
            had found a muppet happy to pay them

Jesus H 'king C-rist!!! Did you really sign up for £13 grand for three cupboards!!

Comment

You could always do it yourself.

Comment

We got moben round to quote for us. The sales guy managed to lose his sale by being too patonising more than anything else. He basically seemed to decide what we should have. Anything we suggested was met with a 'I've been designing kitchens for years and I think I know what's best' type comments. So did we and he didn't get the job
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

We had moben around about 5 years ago to plan and price a kitchen for us.

The bloke drew up some plans we were happy with, and priced it at about 6k. He was insistent that we wouldn't have to pay until the kitchen was fully installed and we were happy with it, but was insistent that we drew up a credit contract of it rather than pay cash.

We signed, but it was on reflection that I realised that the credit contract basically meant that moben were paid regardless.

We were able to cancel the kitchen and contract under the credit contracts act which gives you a 7 day period to cancel without question if the contract is signed in your own home.

Ended up repricing at Wickes and getting a local tradesman, the kitchen came in at under 2k fully fitted.

Comment

I feel sick now...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I feel sick now...
                      You should be used to wasting large sums of money, being a Mac owner and all. Think of it as a low spec Mac you didn't buy.

Comment

Working...
                      X