• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wiring a European appliance to a UK plug

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Silly things I did as a kid. My bedside light cable snapped in two so I regularly twisted the wires together when live. I discovered that electricity produced sparks. I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke. I wired up electric lights in the garage and discovered the wiring them in series makes them all dim.

The kids of today don't learn these things.
    They have no sense of adventure
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that
      An experienced and qualified electrician friend of mine routinely does that to make absolutely sure he has disconnected the circuit before working on it. It is what he was taught to do.

I discovered that the day he told us he had found out his shed was connected to next door's mains, not his.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke.
        And a 12v motor connected to the copper connectors on a 2-pin extension lead does NOT just run faster.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          An experienced and qualified electrician friend of mine routinely does that to make absolutely sure he has disconnected the circuit before working on it. It is what he was taught to do.

I discovered that the day he told us he had found out his shed was connected to next door's mains, not his.
          Er!

I wasn't joking. I actually do that

Comment

They have no sense of adventure
            But a larger percentage make it to breeding age.

Er!

I wasn't joking. I actually do that
            I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Unfortunately

I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.

It's Bracing! Like a cold shower after a hot bath

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Having had one shock from an old CRT TV Line Output Transformer, I keep well away from moving electrons. That was a real surprise.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                  Having had one shock from an old CRT TV Line Output Transformer, I keep well away from moving electrons. That was a real surprise.
                  Now I wouldn't touch one of those with a long rubber pole

Comment

Working...
                  X