• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An Englishman's home is his castle : Who said British Justice is a shambles ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understand the fury at what happened to him, and the wanting to smash the crap out of him for doing so. But to go as far as breaking a cricket bat over someones head, as he's held down. No, sorry. Too much. And so's shooting them while we're at it.

We live (Least I did) in a society where people are tried by jury's, and that's a good thing. From glimpses of coutries where mob rule prevails, I don't much like what I see.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Nope, just enough to make him need care for the rest of his life. Lose-lose really. Probably wouldn't have got much more than 30 months if he'd topped the bloke.
      Would not the state have been paying out for him anyway for the rest of his life, a life of crime.

This outcome is cheaper for the state.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Would not the state have been paying out for him anyway for the rest of his life, a life of crime.

This outcome is cheaper for the state.
        Summary justice, at the scene of the crime will definitely save money ... I'd invest in used tyre companies now, it'll be all the rage before long, and the Taliban wouldn't have a patch on us.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          And so's shooting them while we're at it.
          So, let me just understand you:

a) 3 guys in balaklavas meet you in your house
          b) they put down your family on the floor and tie them up
          c) one of your family manages to escape - this suprises attackers as their original plan clearly stopped working

At this point you can pull your legit firearm and shoot them - you won't?

Now if it was just one guy who broke into house and run away once he saw you, then maybe shooting to kill would probably be excessive, however the moment they actually made family lie down and tied them prepped for execution (I'd think that if they were doing it to me), they've signed their own death warrant - they crossed the line by doing a) and b).

The sad part here is that the system in this country gives no way to defend onself effectively - only firearms can even out the odds and make such crimes highly unprofitable to those who attempt them. It's much cheaper for taxpayer also. Win-win for all apart from criminals.

Comment

Those guys shouldn't be in prison. OK it probably was excessive force, but oh well... tough tulip on them. If they weren't criminal scum then it wouldn't have happened. Now he's not in any fit state to commit more crime against decent, law abiding folk and also his partners in crime will maybe think twice in future.

I know I'd have done the same thing if I was in their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The sad part here is that the system in this country gives no way to defend onself effectively
              Sod off somewhere else then (Not that what you say is true anyway).

- only firearms can even out the odds and make such crimes highly unprofitable to those who attempt them. It's much cheaper for taxpayer also. Win-win for all apart from criminals.
              This is utterly ridiculous - why wouldn't the crims carry guns too? They have less to lose and easier access to untracable guns and ammo and now they know they may face an armed householder - result; more dead householders and a good chance of more innocent bystanders getting caught in the crossfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

This is utterly ridiculous - why wouldn't the crims carry guns too? They have less to lose and easier access to untracable guns and ammo and now they know they may face an armed householder - result; more dead householders and a good chance of more innocent bystanders getting caught in the crossfire.
                er..
                I think he knows that PSB. But they have the upper hand now. At least if everyone had guns it would even the odds. That would be a deterrant
                Thats his argument
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think you may find that democracy allows different people have different opinions - I don't tell you to sod off, so please don't tell me either.

Criminals already carry guns, it's as illegal as it would be. Good law abiding citizens however don't have them.

Criminals like that are in minority - this means they'll be shot off dead pretty quickly, it's simple probabilities - if 20% of people have firearms (and trained to use them), then probability of criminal not meeting armed resistance will be 80% (or 0.8), so if they do it twice the probabilities will drop to 64% (or 0.64), three times and it is already 50-50 they'll be shot: 7 times they get on a job and it will be 80% chance they'd get armed resistance.

Those who choose to buy legal guns should accept full responsibility that using them would increase chance of them being shot also - it's THEIR choice, if you don't want it then don't make it - go unarmed as you do now, meanwhile people who are prepared to fight for themselves should not be denied lawful tools to do so.

When I lived in Russia I carried legal licensed 9mm gun that is classed as firearm in this country. I never used it, but having one meant I had the option to do so if necessary.
                  Last edited by AtW; 14 December 2009, 21:58.

Comment

I think you may find that democracy allows different people have different opinions - I don't tell you to sod off, so please don't tell me either.

When I lived in Russia I carried legal licensed 9mm gun that is classed as firearm in this country. I never used it, but having one meant I had the option to do so if necessary.
                    If Russia was so wonderful why did you leave? If you choose to live here accept that democracy means that the majority prefer not to carry firearms - this was true when they were legal. What's good for Russia isn't automatically right for here; there are some pretty significant differences, so don't try to and change the place you came to (presumably because it was different) into the place you came from.

Of course we could legalise firearms like the USA for example, but would undoubtedly result in a much higher murder rate, just like they have there.

Comment

Criminals like that are in minority - this means they'll be shot off dead pretty quickly, it's simple probabilities - if 20% of people have firearms (and trained to use them), then probability of criminal not meeting armed resistance will be 80% (or 0.8), so if they do it twice the probabilities will drop to 64% (or 0.64), three times and it is already 50-50 they'll be shot: 7 times they get on a job and it will be 80% chance they'd get armed resistance.

BTW - I'm not an expert on statistics and probability, but I think the logic in your calculation is flawed - surely the odds start again for each occurence rather than automatically reducing?

Comment

Working...
                      X