• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please post something.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    This is to allow sasguru to think up a "witty" insult
    Jeez, just how long are you going to allow for that?

Respect for getting "sasguru" and "think" into the same sentence though.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'd vote for that. tulip, wasted all of my votes.
      FTFY

[Edit: Assuming you're between 40 and 65]
      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Jeez, just how long are you going to allow for that?

Respect for getting "sasguru" and "think" into the same sentence though.

LOL! LOL!

Comment

The 80:20 rule is never wrong and can be applied to all and any things.

For example, 20% of the cost and effort put into a system produces 80% of the finished product; the remaining 80% of the cost and effort is required to produce the remaining 20%.

Therefore, one should overspecify system requirements by a quarter (i.e. to 125%).

Once 80% of the requirements are complete, stop. (125% x 80% = 100%). Only 20%x125% = 25% of the cost and effort will have been spent.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Now you have your head around the previous example, you're ready for this one. I had the following discussion with a PMO manager and he agreed with my logic.

Remember: the 80:20 rule is never wrong and can be applied to all and any things.

Principle: 20% of the cost and effort put into a system produces 80% of the finished product.
            Action: Now make the decision that 80% is good enough.
            Consequence: This means you can lay off 80% of your IT workforce and still get reasonably good systems.

BUT - and here's the clever bit - you only need 80% of the reasonably good systems.

So, apply the 20/80 rule again and lay off 80% of the remaining workforce and you will see that just 4% of the cost and effort produces 64% of the finished product.

That is, for every 100 staff you have working on a project, get rid of 96 of them and you only lose about 1/3 of the final functionality.

And if you can get that published as a book, well done you hero! Because someone will, one day.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Someone told me the film Capricon One was so cheap to make because much of it was out-takes from the fake moon landings and they used the same sets.

I reckon if NASA hadn't wasted all that time and money faking the Apollo programme, they could have afforded to have got us to Mars by now.

Comment

Evolution must be false because every time they find another fossil (animal skeleton) it creates another gap in the tree of life. There are now more gaps in the so-called 'fossil record' than ever before. The 'scientists' don't want you to know that but it is true.

Comment

The government has decided in future there will be more MPs in the House of Commons, it is going up from 646 to 650.

This means your vote is being whittled away, it is going to be worth 4/650ths less = about 1/150. So you'll need to find another 149 people to agree with you before your vote will be worth what it is now.

This is how the government is robbing us of our democracy.

Comment

When people got TB they made them live in nursing homes in the country and get lots of fresh air to help them get better.

Farmers reckon it is the badgers causing the TB in cows.

But it can't be. Cows live in fields and get lots of fresh air all the time.

Comment

On the CUK members list, the first page of accounts are all Gods (>5000 posts). After the first page, none of them are.

That is very tidy.

Something should be done to keep it that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X