• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV format

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    If you are the wrong side of 35, lose any reference to age.

Some on here recently suggested leaving out your home address but I'm not so sure.
    I am just shy of that age so may leave it on.

Although I would have assumed the older gent to be more experienced than me.

Thanks anyhow Clippy, nice robin by the way.
    Last edited by conned tractor; 11 December 2009, 12:15. Reason: Speeling

Comment

If you are the wrong side of 35, lose any reference to age.

Some on here recently suggested leaving out your home address but I'm not so sure.
      I've just removed my home address from my CV as I work anywhere in the UK and don't think Its relevant.
      I have also removed my qualifications up to my BSc (I have a HND in textile design and a C&G in Professional photography - but its not really all that relevant to building data warehouses!) I have a sentence on my 'interests' - just to add a human dimension. I don't have my age, driving licence points or star sign on there, as it's immaterial.

Anything that is not related to what I can do and what I have done work wise - is at the end.

Heading - name + phone number
      Bullet points on what I have to offer
      Previous contracts
      Permie jobs
      education
      short Bit about me
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If you are posting the CV on Monster, yeah, take it off. And use a special email address just for Monster too, to capture the spam it generates.

If you are sending it to an agent, all your contact details will be stripped out before it goes to a client. Often even your name and all personal details.

Some people worry about posting their address online; I certainly used to back in the 1990s. But now everyone has a PC and iPod and 60" telly and DVD player in their home, so what difference does it make?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          I've just removed my home address from my CV as I work anywhere in the UK and don't think Its relevant.
          I have also removed my qualifications up to my BSc (I have a HND in textile design and a C&G in Professional photography - but its not really all that relevant to building data warehouses!) I have a sentence on my 'interests' - just to add a human dimension. I don't have my age, driving licence points or star sign on there, as it's immaterial.

Anything that is not related to what I can do and what I have done work wise - is at the end.

Heading - name + phone number
          Bullet points on what I have to offer
          Previous contracts
          Permie jobs
          education
          short Bit about me
          Thanks for the reply Pogle.

Comment

Mine is fantastically long by the sounds of it.

Cover pages about why I want the job, one in English, quite different content for one in Danish (with some poetry wot I writ. They like cutesy stuff like that here). Then about 8 pages of previous job, a couple of pages on qualifications, a page on interests, and a page of other details. Then something up to 16 pages of scans of the qualifications/certificates that I think are relevant to the task advertised. And finally a full page picture of myself after completing the PBP cycle race, skin tight lycra... Guaranteed to get the receiving HR bird to pull me in for an ogle.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Mine is fantastically long by the sounds of it.

Cover pages about why I want the job, one in English, quite different content for one in Danish (with some poetry wot I writ. They like cutesy stuff like that here). Then about 8 pages of previous job, a couple of pages on qualifications, a page on interests, and a page of other details. Then something up to 16 pages of scans of the qualifications/certificates that I think are relevant to the task advertised. And finally a full page picture of myself after completing the PBP cycle race, skin tight lycra... Guaranteed to get the receiving HR bird to pull me in for an ogle.
              Does ogle mean slap in Danish?

Comment

Guess what?

Submitted CV this afternoon taking heed of some of the suggestions, and got a phone call this afternoon for submission for a role. Lowest rate ever (only by £2/hr), but working from home.

Will see where it goes. Not getting hopes up to much just yet, but agent did sound keen and no fishing. (BUT RC TOLD ME NOT TO TRUST THEM).

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  If you are posting the CV on Monster, yeah, take it off. And use a special email address just for Monster too, to capture the spam it generates.

If you are sending it to an agent, all your contact details will be stripped out before it goes to a client. Often even your name and all personal details.

Some people worry about posting their address online; I certainly used to back in the 1990s. But now everyone has a PC and iPod and 60" telly and DVD player in their home, so what difference does it make?
                  ID theft - That's why you have to remove your personal details like age and shouldn't put your full name down.

I've have had discussions with friends on how easy it is to fake being someone else. The easiest way is to go to a cemetery and choose someone who is dead but would be about your age. Then from their death certificate obtain their birth certificate and away you go.

The hardest way is to fake being a living person as you either have to break into their house and steal things, or trick them into giving you enough detail i.e. fake job ad.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    ID theft - That's why you have to remove your personal details like age and shouldn't put your full name down.

I've have had discussions with friends on how easy it is to fake being someone else. The easiest way is to go to a cemetery and choose someone who is dead but would be about your age. Then from their death certificate obtain their birth certificate and away you go.

The hardest way is to fake being a living person as you either have to break into their house and steal things, or trick them into giving you enough detail i.e. fake job ad.
                    Someone took a copy of my CV put their own details on it and got themselves into SHAPE.

Which reminds me about some of the nonsense spouted in other threads about security clearances...
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Name
                      Address
                      DOB
                      Telephone number
                      Bank details (in case they need to setup my payments)
                      Car licence number & photo copy
                      Passport number & photo copy
                      Attach copy of utility bill to confirm address.
                      Attach photo
                      -----------------------------------

Hobbies & Interests in date order

Details of Non-academic training courses

Details of projects that went wrong (to show I'm human)

Employment history including school holiday jobs (Try to be as detailed as possible)

----------------------------------

References from the last 6 clients / employers

Full details of any interviews you've ever had

Minimum you'll work for.

Detailing how desperate to get a contract

Can't think of anything else...

Comment

Working...
                      X