• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV format

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for education at the end.

Also +1 for minimising personal details.

No point putting contact details on there if going through an agency as pimps remove them, being paranoid about the client contacting you directly and cutting them out

One thing I do is include the URL of my web site in the page header; most pimps don't know how to edit headers and footers in Word, so that usually gets through even after all the other contact info has been snipped

Comment

Lots of CVs seem to have a personal summary as the first thing, sort of personal marketing bs. Can be quite good, but have seen some truly awful ones - the chap who brought "synergy" to the role sticks in the memory - was tempted to interview him just to grill him on that!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        like everyone says 'its not rocket science'.......
        Rocket science isn't rocket science, it's just ballistics

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          Name
          Address
          DOB
          Telephone number
          Bank details (in case they need to setup my payments)
          Car licence number & photo copy
          Passport number & photo copy
          Attach copy of utility bill to confirm address.
          Attach photo
          -----------------------------------

Hobbies & Interests in date order

Details of Non-academic training courses

Details of projects that went wrong (to show I'm human)

Employment history including school holiday jobs (Try to be as detailed as possible)

----------------------------------

References from the last 6 clients / employers

Full details of any interviews you've ever had

Minimum you'll work for.

Detailing how desperate to get a contract

Can't think of anything else...
          NI number
          DNA Sample
          Names and contact details of every sexual partner you've ever had

Edit: Additional
          Police report
          Latest AIDS test results
          Blood samples
          Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 11 December 2009, 18:44.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            If you are the wrong side of 35, lose any reference to age.

Some on here recently suggested leaving out your home address but I'm not so sure.
            I do both. I'm going for jobs in London so I leave my address off. I don't want the agent to see I'm living somewhere else.

May not matter, however I then tell them 5 mins into the conversation.

I'm also the wrong side of 35, I also leave off my earlier jobs as well so it's hard to tell what age I am. I have been asked it though as think agents check it for security reasons, am bringing my passport to one agency next week.

I also always put my hobbies on. Didn't used to, but I was hiring a contract PM and looking at a few CVs, one guy had a great CV but was also into running and martial arts, which I am, I would have picked him anyway but it made me stop and look. For this reason, I now check people who are about to interview me on Linkedin, see if anything on there we have in common, and if I can bring it up as if I haven't stalked them I will. Of course your job skills matter more, but I'm a nervous interviewee so it helps me discussing other things.

It can go against you though, someone who interviewed me asked my hobbies, I said I did running. He then wrinkled his nose and said "not anything excessive though". Me, "um, a marathon".

Comment

And out of interest, does anyone actually put their O levels on who is over 35? I leave mine off (as not good, plus shows age), but once got asked why not there... and what my English was like (as I didn't have a degree they couldn't work out how I'd got to be a project manager )

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
                And out of interest, does anyone actually put their O levels on who is over 35? I leave mine off (as not good, plus shows age), but once got asked why not there... and what my English was like (as I didn't have a degree they couldn't work out how I'd got to be a project manager )
                No. Or A-levels.

Comment

I have 4 lines on the last page offering details on my 6 years at University.

First page offers my contact details, and short skills summary. Only fills half a page and the agent will rewrite that anyway

2nd and 1/2 3rd page is listings of my roles, 1 line company, 1 line address, 3 bullet points, last point is just comma separated skills used. "Technologies used: Java, JEE, DB2, CVS" etc etc

I think the company names I have worked for and times spent there are what sells my CV.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    One thing I do is include the URL of my web site in the page header; most pimps don't know how to edit headers and footers in Word, so that usually gets through even after all the other contact info has been snipped
                    I put the date the CV was created in the header, greyed out, it's good to be able to say when they ask "I might have an old CV for you" to reply "The creation date is up on the right hand corner", "Right, 2003".

I think they just copy and paste the contents into a new doc anyway thus removing the headers.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Rocket science isn't rocket science, it's just ballistics
                      Rocket science is a bit of a joke. I used to think aerospace was a bastion of engineering prowess until I worked in it.

There are some cars I won't drive and some planes I certainly won't be flying in until they've had a good few crashes.

The really good people work in finance.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X