• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the worst thing you've ever done to someone else's pc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    A uni one, we had centralised batch printing
    On the college PDP-11 I twigged the "compile command" was merely putting a job into a dedicated batch queue for the purpose. So, after that I did all my compilations from the command line (no more waiting for me, hah!) but also realised jobs could be scheduled in the batch compiler queue where they would never be found.

So I knocked up an ASCII Xmas tree and wrote a batch job to send it to every college printer then re-schedule itself to run the next day. I then scheduled a job to run on Xmas eve to kill the first batch job.

It was about the third week in January when the college operator sidled up to me and said quietly "Your Xmas Eve job failed: the compiler queue does not have sufficient rights to kill batch jobs". "So I did it just now".

I didn't know whether to be more impressed by him working it out or by his discretion.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Someone did this to their own PC.

I've posted it before so I apologise if you've heard it.

They were working on a piece of FAX software, driven by a database.

For test data, the bloke inserted 10K rows with the dummy phone number, 99999999.

Which was great until he activated it, it dialled 9 for an outside line, then 999 gets you through to the emergency services, which then heard a fax tone, hang up and dialled again and again and again.

Interesting to see the five police cars arrive with VERY angry officers at reception.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        an ASCII Xmas tree and wrote a batch job to send it to every college printer then re-schedule itself to run the next day. I then scheduled a job to run on Xmas eve to kill the first batch job.
        Oh, that reminds me...

Does the British Railway Passenger Information System still randomly pop up festive Xmas trees and Santas around this time of year instead of telling you when your train is due to arrive...
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          When said network support bod left his PC unattended, I copied his desktop (Windows 3.1) with icons etc. to the clipboard. Dropped that into Paint and added a dialog box:

I them made that his Windows background.

He got that done to him about once a month.
          There was a good screen saver doing the rounds along those lines, it looked like it was working it's way through your C drive. Some good panic reactions !

Comment

When I worked in support we had this guy who was constantly on the net - like me! Trouble was he was constantly pulling rubbish in off the net and for the most part he didn't have a clue what it did.

So I went onto Yahoo and setup a dummy email address so he wouldn't know it was from me.Then I emailed him a message saying "Rob (for that was his name) do you want to see something good?" and attached to my mail was this little app which simply brought up a form with a yes and no button on it, but the mouse over event meant that it was not possible to hit no. When he hit yes I kicked off a routine that searched his hard drive and then popped up a message saying that his hard drive had been formatted.

I made sure the next day that I was working close by so he'd come to me with his problem. You could see the colour drain from his face when the message popped up (he wasn't very PC literate) and came over asking me to look at his PC urgently. I kept telling him I was busy and I'd look at it in a few mins and had him sweating for about 30 mins before I told him. He learnt his lesson though!

I also leant a mate a calculator before one of his a levels where I'd swapped all the numbers over. He didn't pass.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
              Used unlocked PC`s to send emails to their same sex friends along the lines of "Hi John, you`re looking well hot today, I`m beginning to fall in love with your, you never knew I was gay did you?" and other such tosh.

That`s as bad as it gets, I`m a good boy me

Lol oddly enough in most places this is the first thing i have read so far that will get you instantly dismissed and walked off site so not such a good boy
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know someone that pissed all over another chap's keyboard.

Comment

We used to have a laugh with the tecnophobes when we were in desktop support.

When they called in we would take control of their PC remotely while speaking to them on the phone but not tell them what they were accepting.

We would then ask them to speak the commands in to the mouse to speed up the process. Obviously we could hear what they were saying on the phone so we would tell them what to say, they would talk in to the mouse and we would move the cursor and carry out the desired task. We could only keep this up for 5 or 6 mins before falling around in fits of laughter.

We could hear them saying to their colleagues, oh look at this, i can make it do this by speaking in to the mouse watch etc.

Hilarious.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I once worked with a chap who hated one of the girls in accounts, she was always chewing the ends of highlighters, we were in on a saturday once so he wiped all her highighters under his foreskin... true story.
                    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
                      I once worked with a chap who hated one of the girls in accounts, she was always chewing the ends of highlighters, we were in on a saturday once so he wiped all her highighters under his foreskin... true story.
                      must have been hung like a donkey

Comment

Working...
                      X