• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the worst thing you've ever done to someone else's pc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built an app once for a major pharma, and one of the main users was a top bloke.

So I put a few lines of code on the reports menu screen open event

if user = top bloke
    if its wednesday
    if its morning
    randomize one chance in 20

change menu option 'Ad Hoc' ===> 'Haddock'

I had to go back a few years later to work on a legacy system and we bumped into each other in the canteen.

'Listen' he says ' That system we built, it drives me mad. every now and then it starts making fishy suggestions to me, and when I call people to show them, its all ok again'

i kept me gob shut. and beat a hasty

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

When pissed, I changed the AUTOEXEC.BAT of the dolly bird on reception to pop up a message that was easily sufficient for a summary dismissal which stopped on a PAUSE and then destroyed the evidence:

Code:
      CLS
      ECHO +----------------------------------------------+
      ECHO ¦ Hello Darlin'
      ECHO ¦ blah blah blah
      ECHO +----------------------------------------------+
      DEL AUTOEXEC.BAT
      REN AUTOEXEC.WAS AUTOEXEC.BAT
      PAUSE
      WIN
      (A little known fact about batch files: the operating system reads ahead such that you can change a batch file and it will continue to run as if unchanged.)

There was a formal investigation into that over the following few days. Nobody ever worked out how it was done.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Nobbled a blokes desk phone once.
        Oh I've done one much better than that... Reprogrammed the TIB and concentrator for a PBX to make all sorts of japes: imagine big open plan office: all the phones ringing once and onto the next in a sequence, and the auditory patterns I made were beautiful, simple raster scans all the way through to fermat spirals.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Do we include college or just the workplace?

If what we did in academia is allowed...
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Wrapped the keyboard, mouse and monitor in 4 layers of newspaper.

Nowhere near as bad as covering it in dogtulip.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

We had a network support bod who was full of tulip.

I changed the Windows logon dialog box on his PC to match the Novell Netware error box.

That kept him busy all morning... frequently.

Comment

Some people at work emptied several large boxes of polystyrene chip packaging material into the open sunroof of another blokes car. Filled the interior to the roof lining.

Not PC related but was funny at the time.

Comment

When said network support bod left his PC unattended, I copied his desktop (Windows 3.1) with icons etc. to the clipboard. Dropped that into Paint and added a dialog box:

Code:
                  +--------------------------------------------------+
                  ¦ Disk error                                       ¦
                  ¦ Windows has identified a serious disk fault.     ¦
                  ¦                                                  ¦
                  ¦ How do you want Windows to fix this?             ¦
                  ¦ [Format C:]  [Wipe files on C:]                  ¦
                  I them made that his Windows background.

He got that done to him about once a month.

Comment

A uni one, we had centralised batch printing (I'm old we didn't have bubblejets and the like) and we tried to hack our mates password, 1st attempt was "Greg" and hey presto. Overnight we printed 100,000 copies of a 100 page text file.

He got pulled for it, and they put it down to his incompetence. We told him at graduation...

Comment

Used unlocked PC`s to send emails to their same sex friends along the lines of "Hi John, you`re looking well hot today, I`m beginning to fall in love with your, you never knew I was gay did you?" and other such tosh.

That`s as bad as it gets, I`m a good boy me

Comment

Working...
                      X