• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A reminder of just how fortunate we are to have positioned ourselves as we have

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Are try to get a mortgage for less than 25% deposit.

IMPOSSIBLE
    Not strictly true.

Were you to say, Try getting a mortgage with less than 25% discount without getting ripped off - I'd agree that is impossible.

Have been offered a couple of deals at 85 & 90% LTV. There are both fixed deals with rates at close to 7%.
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 9 December 2009, 14:21.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Permie bloke at work here is going on 40. Lives with his parents , company car , unmarried.
      Raves about his squash nights and his Belgian beer tasting forays into Altrincham and loves to show me his scar from his operation.

He doesnt take holidays, I think he is terrified that the company will discover they can get by without him. Every day is the same, and the weeks of his life merge into years, I can see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice.
      And I think
      Thank God I am a Contractor

The exact reason i started contracting 4 1/2 years ago

Comment

I don't thank any god that I'm a contractor because I'm an atheist. I do, however, thank my former boss who said to me just over 5 years ago 'if you're so bloody clever why don't you start your own bloody business?' to which I responded 'good idea, I'll do that right now'.

Thankfully, I'm a contractor.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

'Are try to get a mortgage for less than 25% deposit. '

isn't that how things should be ?

That's how it is on the mainland.

That's how it was in the UK for my parent's generation.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            'Are try to get a mortgage for less than 25% deposit. '

isn't that how things should be ?

That's how it is on the mainland.

That's how it was in the UK for my parent's generation.

Milan.
            If 25% is 1 year's net average salary for an average house it's not a problem. When I were a young 'un most of my friends' parents had houses even if they were lowly teachers, office managers, engineers etc. etc. Today a teacher can only dream of having a house unless they inherit it or something. How did these people become so poor?

Comment

'How did these people become so poor?'

simple, two things:

- the expansion of credit

- feminism - women working

in the 60's, 70's when women didn't work so much, one salary could sustain a mortgage

then the women started working, more money came into circulation, consequently people had more money in their pockets burning holes in their pockets, and the market naturally reacted and prices went up

the market is the market and will only ever tell the truth as a barometer to the economic situation

secondly, the expansion of credit, 100% mortgages, obviously, more potential customers is gonna mean more demand is gonna drive prices higher

the feminists, equal rights for women, women working getting wages like men, they don't realise what damage they have done, now they HAVE to work for a family to be sustainable ! without two incomes today a family in the UK will not work - is that an achievement ?

easy innit

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                If 25% is 1 year's net average salary for an average house it's not a problem. When I were a young 'un most of my friends' parents had houses even if they were lowly teachers, office managers, engineers etc. etc. Today a teacher can only dream of having a house unless they inherit it or something. How did these people become so poor?
                It's not a problem if houses are affordable. In NL you can get a 100% mortgage, but in Deutschland I think it's maximum 80%. However, incomes are pretty good in Germany and houses are affordable if you don't want to live in the centre of town, so it's not really a problem for people with decent jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  'How did these people become so poor?'

simple, two things:

- the expansion of credit

- feminism - women working

in the 60's, 70's when women didn't work so much, one salary could sustain a mortgage

then the women started working, more money came into circulation, consequently people had more money in their pockets burning holes in their pockets, and the market naturally reacted and prices went up

the market is the market and will only ever tell the truth as a barometer to the economic situation

secondly, the expansion of credit, 100% mortgages, obviously, more potential customers is gonna mean more demand is gonna drive prices higher

the feminists, equal rights for women, women working getting wages like men, they don't realise what damage they have done, now they HAVE to work for a family to be sustainable ! without two incomes today a family in the UK will not work - is that an achievement ?

easy innit

Milan.
                  And that would explain your recent show of blatant misogynism
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    And that would explain your recent show of blatant misogynism
                    I'm all in favour of equal pay for women. Just imagine how we'd live if Mrs Tester had the same kind of income as I have. No kids, two six figure incomes, tiny mortgage, sorted!

Comment

eh ?

has the kettle boiled yet luv ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X