• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A reminder of just how fortunate we are to have positioned ourselves as we have

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reminder of just how fortunate we are to have positioned ourselves as we have

All,

there's a right old debate going on over on the Grauniad, they did an article about all the 30 somethings who live with parents still:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ental-home-ons

and the comments are amazing, look at this one:

'I'm 29, earn a more than reasonable amount and rent relatively cheaply in what you'd call a 'student flat' (i.e. it's basic at best and landlord doesn't really bother us as long as we don't bother him and we pay the rent on time).

My student loan repayments are pretty sizable, and i've paid the bank off the money i was loaned for an MSc, but can i afford to save for a mortgage? Not a chance.

I've pretty much written off the entire idea of ever owning a house. And don't even get me started on a car...
    '

makes the things we complain about over here pale into insignificance

so give yourselves a pat on the back and remember how fortunate you are.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    All,

there's a right old debate going on over on the Grauniad, they did an article about all the 30 somethings who live with parents still:

'I'm 29, earn a more than reasonable amount and rent relatively cheaply in what you'd call a 'student flat' (i.e. it's basic at best and landlord doesn't really bother us as long as we don't bother him and we pay the rent on time).

My student loan repayments are pretty sizable, and i've paid the bank off the money i was loaned for an MSc, but can i afford to save for a mortgage? Not a chance.

I've pretty much written off the entire idea of ever owning a house. And don't even get me started on a car...
    '

Milan.
    Couldn't agree more. It's easy to forget that we are well off and very lucky

Positivity: I like it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

The only thing that has really changed in the past 30 odd years is peoples expectations
      They expect to get the big house/flat, car, big TV and still have a large disposable income for drinks out twice a week and holidays on the other side of the world.

I would put money on the fact that with most of these people who have a "reasonable" income but can't afford to rent/buy that they can afford to go out boozing, buy fancy clothes, ipods and all the rest of the crap that they seem to think they need to be a part of society.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Permie bloke at work here is going on 40. Lives with his parents , company car , unmarried.
        Raves about his squash nights and his Belgian beer tasting forays into Altrincham and loves to show me his scar from his operation.

He doesnt take holidays, I think he is terrified that the company will discover they can get by without him. Every day is the same, and the weeks of his life merge into years, I can see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice.
        And I think
        Thank God I am a Contractor

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          The only thing that has really changed in the past 30 odd years is peoples expectations
          They expect to get the big house/flat, car, big TV and still have a large disposable income for drinks out twice a week and holidays on the other side of the world.

I would put money on the fact that with most of these people who have a "reasonable" income but can't afford to rent/buy that they can afford to go out boozing, buy fancy clothes, ipods and all the rest of the crap that they seem to think they need to be a part of society.
          Do you expect those things?

Isn't this due to the increase in the gap between the rich and the poor in our society??

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

spacey,

well I tend to agree with you, looking back, my parents and their parents lived on a philosophy of saving and going without certain things so that they could get other things like a house etc and furniture

i guess today's generation go without the house so they can get the ipod

but I think a big contributor is consumerism and materialism and especially things like the Lad's mags which are saying you should have this car, this watch, this tv or you're a failure and will not pull any birds

oh well there we are, too bad for the suckers suckered into this materialistic consumer world

on the other side, if the big ticket items like a house or car are so out of reach, then the only bit of retail thereapy these folks will get is to buy the latest ipod and iphone etc

save and prosper, that's the only way

Milan.

Comment

Why in god's name are you reading the guardian?!?!
              We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
              - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Permie bloke at work here is going on 40. Lives with his parents , company car , unmarried.
                Raves about his squash nights and his Belgian beer tasting forays into Altrincham and loves to show me his scar from his operation.

He doesnt take holidays, I think he is terrified that the company will discover they can get by without him. Every day is the same, and the weeks of his life merge into years, I can see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice.
                And I think
                Thank God I am a Contractor

Genuine question (not wishing to offend but to understand)

And as a contractor you are different how? Presumably because you earn more.

Comment

Milan,

You bought that giant shiny 4x4 with the iPod connection yet?

Dim.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    All,

'

Milan.
                    Maybe the muppet should stop reading the guardian and read a decent paper like the Torygraph. Then he could then get a decent job and afford a house.

Comment

Working...
                    X