• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mulled wine is amazing!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Ah! Thank's for this thread. It's something I keep meaning to ask but I forget.

I've noticed that there are loads of places that are selling 'Mulled Cider' this year. Never noticed it before; is it wide spread? I take it that I'm being fick and it was around last year too.

A bit of googling tells me that it is the original 'Wassail' as in the drinking toast.

I might try it sometime, but something makes me think that it going to be too much for me.
    Mulled cider, very nice, just make sure to use one of the sweeter varieties, some sugar and cinnamon.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Like spicing meat, the only reason they used to mull wine in the middle ages was because it tasted so vile on it own.
      So what? Smoked fish, cured meat and curry all have similar origins. Doesn't stop them tasting nice.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
        Why would anyone want to mess up decent booze by putting spices and sugar and other tulipe in it and then heating it so all the alchohol evaporates?
        Because some of us don't drink just to force alcohol into our blood in an attempt to escape our dull lives

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Because some of us don't drink just to force alcohol into our blood in an attempt to escape our dull lives
          Try doing it to cheer up, then, you miserable bugger!

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Try doing it to cheer up, then, you miserable bugger!

It does cheer me up, through a pleasant taste and aroma in nice surroundings. Not through getting smashed... the thought I might lower the alcohol content by heating it up doesn't seem of the slightest concern.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Glühwein, disgusting stuff IMHO. Everyhere in Germany sells it at the moment. I prefer the little stand in the Weihnachtsmarkt that does all these weird and wonderful variations on a hot Schnapps, some are pretty lethal.
              WHS

I took Mrs Gonzo to some German Christmas Markets one year. I thought the alcohol that you could get there would ease my pain.

It didn't. That stuff is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                I've noticed that there are loads of places that are selling 'Mulled Cider' this year. Never noticed it before; is it wide spread? I take it that I'm being fick and it was around last year too.

A bit of googling tells me that it is the original 'Wassail' as in the drinking toast.
                It's probably a marketing exercise dreamt up by a load of twonks working on behalf of some Fast Drink outfit like Magners

If the real wassail involved cider (rather than it being said marketing department mucking around with Wikipedia and SEO to bolster their campaign) then said cider would have been rough cider, aka scrumpy.

Ergo, if you are offered Mulled Cider made with a mainstream brand, you are being conned by capitalists seeking to exploit the gullible. If it's made with real rough cider, then it may just possibly be the real wassail. Even so, a little digging might expose the fact that such a local tradition has been traditional since... well, since the big brands started a marketing campaign a couple of weeks ago

Comment

Why would anyone want to mess up decent booze by putting spices and sugar and other tulipe in it and then heating it so all the alchohol evaporates?
                  dunno - I cannae stand the stuff.

Comment

Why??

Because she has had a sh 1t day doing a sh 1t job for a sh 1t boss. She has had a nightmare journey home through a cold winters evening, and someone has taken the trouble to do something nice for her.

Thats the main reason.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

hey is that how they distill whisky? Just pour some hot water into some beer and collect the alcohol?

Actually very little alcohol evaporates. I have had the hangovers to prove it.

Comment

Working...
                      X