• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I love M&S

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Baskets only."

So how come the people ahead of me have trolleys laden to the ceiling and nobody does a damn thing about it?

Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr J Sainsbury

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Yes!
      What about fruit and veg stalls with "Carrot's"

People who call the Union Flag the Union Jack?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Asda have "About 20 items or less". Hmmmm...
        A peasant's Nirvana.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          What about fruit and veg stalls with "Carrot's"

People who call the Union Flag the Union Jack?
          I wouldn't expect perfect English on a market stall, but from a multi-billion pound international retailer like Asda you'd hope they'd make a bit more of an effort.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

There was a grammatical error in the one of the Christmas windows at Kendals in Manchester, it said 'your' instead of 'you're' - in quite large letters.
            Pogle jr (aged 9) spotted it and complained to the manager as she has it drummed into her at school and thought they were setting a bad example to children!

sometimes she really reminds me of her dad
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I can't stand being made to feel bad asking for a plastic bag, as I'm packing my fruit and vegetables in friggin plastic containers.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Our local Co-op are rabidly anti-carrier bags.

BGG : <Watches the till assistant scan and then deposit 17 different items on to the counter, including freshly packed meats, vegetables, a magazine, a pint of milk, some bottles of beer, a large packet of crisps, some biscuits, a jar of jam, a loaf of bread, etc.>

Assistant : "Do you have a loyalty card, Sir ?"

BGG : "Yes, I am a fully paid up member of the RAC."

Assistant : "No, sorry, I mean a Co-op Loyalty card, Sir."

BGG : "No. I owe you no loyalty, since you are not approved by Her Maj or her family. Actually, neither is the RAC to be honest.Britvic are Royal Warrant holders though, along with ESSO, SHELL, and the Carphone Warehouse. I'm not loyal to them, however."

Assistant : "That'll be "£27.10, please."

BGG : <hands over £29>

Assistant : <hands back change>

BGG : <Stands there looking at the newly purchased shopping on the counter>

MOMENTS PASS

Assistant : <increduloulsy>"Oh, would like a bag for that lot, Sir ?"

BGG : <sighs> "I'll need one or two yes. Thank you."

Assistant : "That's be 5p a bag then."

BGG : "I'll be a devil and have 3 then, just for the hell of it. 2 is actually probably enough, but with a 3rd, I'll have one spare, and that can be my contribution to flipping up the environment."

Assistant : "Er...ok. You know, you can always get a Bag for Life"

BGG : "Thanks, but I'm already married. Actually, she's a lovely lass. I digress. You mean one of those poxy, hessian bags that proclaims "look at me, I shop in Oxfam, eat lentils, read the Guardian, and ride an incredibly large and condescending high horse in order to look down on others, in order to make myself feel important ?"

Assistant : "It's just a bag, Sir."

BGG : "No. No it's not. It's an admission. An admission of guilt, that the person carrying it has forsaken themselves and let mass hysteria about global warming, El Nino, melting ice caps, and 2012 Armageddon events get the better of them."

Assistant : "Here. Have 5. Now flip off before I call Security"

BGG : "Why thank you. Have a nice day"
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  <bunch of stuff about the Co-op, loyalty cards, and carrier bags/>
                  The Co-op is owned by those of its customers who choose to take ownership, and if they choose to take a card (for free) they share in its profits (unlike other supermarkets, where for example my Nectar points come out of what you pay at the till if you don't have a Nectar card).

My local Co-op never has a problem about giving out free carrier bags.

YMMV. If you got a Member's Card you would be one of the owners of the store and could do something about the bags, if that is in fact a major issue for you. Unless the other members voted against it, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
                    How about that orange-coloured fruit?
                    That's what did for the Challenger space shuttle. Spooky.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      The Co-op is owned by those of its customers who choose to take ownership, and if they choose to take a card (for free)
                      Some of the Co-ops charge £1 to join but then credit your account with £1.

We are in 4 Co-ops now.

I hadn't realised the Co-op is regional.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X