• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I love M&S

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those 5p bags at M&S are a dubious scam packaged up as a 'doing the right thing' ploy.

Having asked at several stores over the months for re-assurance that the 5p goes to charity, and been told 'yes it does', i've been satisfied.

Until recently.....

Bags now say on them that just over 1p of 'profits' go to charity.
    So effectively this is just a new revenue stream.

The worst bit for me is being lied to or told untruths by poorly informed checkout staff.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      The worst bit for me is being lied to or told untruths by poorly informed checkout staff.
      Since when have staff in any organisation ever been told the truth ?
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Sadly M&S is the one place whose trousers fit me these days and I can walk in and get a pair in my size without the pfaff of trying them on.

Comment

Marine animals die from eating plastic bags & balloons and loads of our plastic crap.
          I frankly don’t give a toss about global warming, but I don’t like wild animals dying from my shopping bags and it is for this reason alone I have reusable shopping bags. Also my daughter is an embryonic eco-warrior and kicks up a fuss at the checkout if I get a plastic bag
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

WH Smiths charge 1p for a bag, but seeing as most things you buy are still £something.99, the extra penny brings it up to an even pound encouraging everybody to use a bag when they don't need to.

Plus they always try to sell me chocolate for some reason.

I do the right thing at Tescos taking a recyclable bag, but I've realised they give you points based on the number of recyclable bags you use. So I'm going to start taking 10 bags even if it means one item per bag. Every little helps.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I tend to keep an M&S bag for life folded up in my handbag and it works quite well, I'd rather do that and pay each time for a carrier bag.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
              X