• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gross Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Not the world's greatest comedian, but what he says is spot on.
    "In Britain you like to be owned by a house... I mean you like to own your house"
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I've finally got to the level where I can make wordplay jokes in my German lessons.

Describing a married couple, I managed to mix up foltern (to torture) and fordern (to demand/ask). Oh how we laughed :-)

As you can see, I'm still a way off from doing a Ronnie Corbett routine yet.

Comment

I remeber a mate going to buy a mattress here some years back. Thinking that the word would be similar in German he ent into the shop asking for a 'zwei meter Matrose' which just happens to mean a 'two meter sailor.' Oh how the shop assistants laughed.

I recall asking the missus where I could buy a pouffe here to rest my feet on and she was very confused as that also means brothel here.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          Actually, many people say that we Germans have nicht sense of humour!
          keine, surely.

Stupid language.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Send 'body mist' back as a 'gift'. Make sure you write that on the outside.
            It reminded me of a German watching the BBC weather forecast with mist written all over the UK. “Is that for farming?”
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Schwul, schwül. I tend to use "feucht".

I was once discussing the snow conditions with my German colleagues. I said the snow had been a bit mushy. They didn't know the word, so I looked it up in my dictionary - "weichlich".

My (female) client manager burst out laughing. A little later, a male colleague told me that, at least locally, it means "wet", as in turned on lady...

otoh, my wife had a lot of fun telling an American (male) to look up smegma in the dictionary, after he'd watch his first episode of Red Dwarf... he was so embarrassed - repressed git.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I once caused confusion and giggles with "Du bist wilkommen".
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I recall a German Engineering company that had some memorable employee names eg -a certain Christian Brothel and another Herr Killler - whose job was a manager - sounds like a formidable chap.

Comment

Working...
                  X