• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatcher is dead!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Thatcher, always stealing the milk from the kids.
    No, she cut taxes so that people could decide whether to buy their own milk for the kids; the fact they preferred to buy expensive tellies and football shirts is their own problem.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-Bob View Post
      I admired Thatcher, she was fond of fish.
      And Genghis Khan was great with children and Hitler was fond of animals (cue Godwin's Law).

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      and small businesses
      Shame about the big industries though.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

No, she cut taxes so that people could decide whether to buy their own milk for the kids;
        then put interest rates up to 16% so that they could be homeless.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          And Genghis Khan was great with children and Hitler was fond of animals (cue Godwin's Law).

Shame about the big industries though.
          You mean the ones that were so badly managed they were dying anyway?

Comment

and small businesses
            ... especially those north of Watford Gap.

Still, she did persuade me to try out working abroad...
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

You don't think that Mrs Thatcher actually just inherited a bloody mess and had to do some drastic surgery to sort it out? With hindsight she went too far in some aspects; but that's with hindsight.

Will a new government be able to do anything different to making drastic cuts on public spending and raising taxes? Is it likely that interest rates will remain low given Britain's debt situation?

A new government is going to have to do Mrs Thatcher's work all over again and in 15 years time Mr Cameron will be hated for it by most, but if he does a good job he'll be revered by the few for saving Britain from bankruptcy.

Guys, face it, Britain is in for a bloody tough time, thanks to the fact that the country has maxed out it's credit cards and the creditors are starting to switch off the money taps.

Comment

THE GREATEST LEADER OF ALL. If only she was available now to clean up this sorry mess that is broken Britain.

Comment

With hindsight she went too far in some aspects; but that's with hindsight.
                  Errrm. I take it you don't remember the TV & Radio schedules from that period, then?

Not the Nine O'Clock News: 30 minutes of taking piss out of Thatcher, her policies and the consequences.

The Mary Whitehouse Experience: taking the piss out of Thatcher's policies.

Spitting Image: Taking the piss out of Thatcher, her ministers and their policies.

The Young Ones: repeatedly taking ths piss out of Thatcher's approach.

Satirical news programmes came about because of Thatcher.

Alternative comedy came about because of Thatcher.

It most certainly was not with hindsight.

Comment

Errrm. I take it you don't remember the TV & Radio schedules from that period, then?

Not the Nine O'Clock News: 30 minutes of taking piss out of Thatcher, her policies and the consequences.

Spitting Image: Taking the piss out of Thatcher, her ministers and their policies.

And see she was responsible for great comedy too. Genius.

Comment

I could give you a long list of things upon which I disagree with Mrs Thatcher;

- Northern Ireland
                      - closing profitable mines
                      - failing to provide support for those who lost their jobs in old industries
                      - failing to see the strategic importance of rail transport, shipbuilding etc
                      - to name only a few

She was in many ways quite nasty. BUT, the next government is going to have be at least as nasty as she was, for the simple reason that a huge chunk of Britain's populace goes on ten year benders of living way beyond their means and expect their government to do the same. So we end up with the same old cycle of debt crises, IMF loans, lower credit ratings and a bunch of nasty unfriendly tory barstewards who have to come in and balance the books again. It's not Mrs Thatcher's fault, or the fault of the tory party, but the fault of all those people who don't understand that for every pound spent there has to be a poundsworth of something produced and sold, in fact a little more so as to save for a rainy day.

Comment

Working...
                      X