• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motivation in a Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Does anyone else struggle keeping their motivation up on some contract positions?

The majority of roles that I do seem to follow the same path, working on a fairly crappy legacy code base which I work flat out on for a few months then my productivity just dips as I have enough of the job. I usually end up knocking back the extension at that point.

Current role I started 2 weeks ago is on a large shambolic legacy financial system and I can sense the feeling of 'not giving a toss' coming in a few weeks.

I know I am capable and always start of the job impressing the client, then it seems to slip and there is never a way back.
    Is there opportunity to re-write the system or bits of it as you go along? Often these systems are tulipe as there is lots of repeated code or similar code, sometimes you can get some satisfaction by reducing these down to one or two clever bits of code.

Danger is of course that you introduce bugs - but then you get the excitement of having to fix them!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Doing boring work is part of being a contractor. Every company I have worked for will give the interesting work to the permies and boring legacy/support stuff to the contractors. That's why you're hired!
      WHS

When I was a permie I used to hate it when contractors got shiny, interesting work to do. They'd produce crap, clear off and us permies either had to maintain it or rewrite it.

FFS, you get paid a premium for your work. If you don't like it, either find something else to do or walk and spend all day on your arse on Jobserve and too skint to turn the heating on like I do. But PM me your ClientCo's details so I can go and be bored for you and taking the money instead.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I do but I cannot keep up the positivity. It might take 2 weeks, it might take 6 months but there is never an interesting job or a decent team to work with that will keep me engaged. It always seems to me client bring on contractors to do the real crappy work the permies cannot do or are unwilling to do.
        you need a plan B or something outside of work that you can focus all of your energy on...

are you single?

try getting married, or buying a puppie, or buying a more expensive house, that'll keep you interested and usually brings back that focus.....

Comment

all day on your arse on Jobserve and too skint to turn the heating on like I do.

sh1 t man. thats bad
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Interesting!

I come across a lot of permies who are demotivated and not interested - and the words out of their mouth most often is 'It's not my job'

I have also noticed a lot of contractors on here ensuring they do nothing more than what is explicitly stated in the contract.

I find you get out what you put in - if you can get involved in other areas which may not be what you signed up for you often find the distraction actually motivates you and you end up doing the core role better and with a more positive mind set.

Appreciate that probably means someone may get something for free from me or my company - but so what - the endless pursuit of money does not motivate me.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Interesting!

I come across a lot of permies who are demotivated and not interested - and the words out of their mouth most often is 'It's not my job'

I have also noticed a lot of contractors on here ensuring they do nothing more than what is explicitly stated in the contract.

I find you get out what you put in - if you can get involved in other areas which may not be what you signed up for you often find the distraction actually motivates you and you end up doing the core role better and with a more positive mind set.

Appreciate that probably means someone may get something for free from me or my company - but so what - the endless pursuit of money does not motivate me.
              WHS. I also struggle with this concept of working to rule and wanting maximum out for minimum (and often less) input. Sometimes it is no wonder we get a bum deal from pimps/permies. It's life and won't change i guess but an aspect of our own community I have to get used to. This is also the case in permie land as well though so why not us I suppose.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                Doing boring work is part of being a contractor.

Evey company I have worked for will give the interesting work to the permies and boring legacy/support stuff to the contractors.

Thats why youre hired!
                It's not always the case, but you can find inquisitive permies who want to pick your brains, which can be a boost to the ego. On the other hand you can always learn from others experience and code.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I wouldn't fret. Most work that is boring and on legacy code soon goes to India or an gang of smiling chappies on ICT visas arrive and take it off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Welcome to the UK, twinned with Zimbabwe
                    ROTFL
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I take a stopwatch and a calculator to the toilets when I need a dump.

That always cheers me up.

Comment

Working...
                      X