• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Speed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Hmmm - Interesting. I'm using the "standard" browser that comes with Symbian - I was using Opera Mini, but it doesn't seem to be able to cope with a connection that occasionally drops back to 2g (or whatever 3g becomes when it drops back) - I am in a room with no windows at Clientco.
    Hmm... Opera are normally pretty good at this kind of thing (it's their primary market).

Then again, Opera Mini is itself rather strange: it actually makes all requests through Opera's own proxy servers. These then retrieve the content and apply all kinds of wonderful tricks, analysing the HTML and compressing the images, so as to finally serve up something that is equivalent to the original page, but much smaller (== quicker), optimised for your device, and definitely not the same as the original. In fact, it's an image of the page rather than HTML.

This strategy usually works well. I know that forms are one of the trickiest things they have to deal with though. It could be something to do with it trying to get the additional info about the page so it can emulate the form; I seem to remember reading something in one of their developer's blogs about the way it has to transition from displaying an image of the page to emulating the form it never sent when the user starts to interact with the form, and maybe a slow connection is interfering with that.

Next time I see any of the Opera mob I'll ask them (although unfortunately the ones I know aren't actually browser developers, they're web standards evangelists).

EDIT: and I've just realised that you aren't using Opera Mini anymore, you're on the Symbian browser. I should read things properly before I reply

If I can't find anything in his published tests I'll ping ppk and see if he's come across this kind of behaviour; I'm not sure it's in his remit from Vodafone, but he might have some ideas.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 10 December 2009, 01:28.

Comment

Wotappened?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Wotappened?
        CUK has been in a the wormhole http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8404991.stm
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Definitely one of the hard drives on the way out. Can't get swapped out immediately as have newsletter going out shortly, fingers crossed will be sorted late this afternoon or maybe in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Definitely one of the hard drives on the way out. Can't get swapped out immediately as have newsletter going out shortly, fingers crossed will be sorted late this afternoon or maybe in the morning.
            Next time, please turn off your webcam.

http://www.1201.com/blog/image.axd?p...nal-poster.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X