• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black holes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoupDragon View Post
    Intuitively, the idea that mass can take up no space is silly. This being the case, Einsteins equations would not break down because 'r' could never reach zero.

As long as r is smaller than the event horizon, there is no way of telling...
    Since when has intuition had anything to do with physics? Certainly anything vaguely related to quantum mechanics or relativity theory has only a nodding acquaintance with anything that actually makes sense.

As for mass taking up no space - once we've worked out what mass actually is (and found that damn Higgs Boson), and once we've pinned down the concept of 'space', we'll be able tell whether it's silly or not.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
      Since when has intuition had anything to do with physics? Certainly anything vaguely related to quantum mechanics or relativity theory has only a nodding acquaintance with anything that actually makes sense.

As for mass taking up no space - once we've worked out what mass actually is (and found that damn Higgs Boson), and once we've pinned down the concept of 'space', we'll be able tell whether it's silly or not.
      I hope so but I fear the human mind just isn't sophisticated enough to comprehend whats going on.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Black hole is another name for Azathoth who obviously exists. Nyarlathotep tells us.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Intuitively, the idea that mass can take up no space is silly. This being the case, Einsteins equations would not break down because 'r' could never reach zero.

I believe Einstein said himself that General Relativity would eventually be superseded. With regard to r going to 0 inside a black hole, one escape route may be that distance makes no sense inside a black hole. There is no r.

Comment

When I was young I was intrigued by the concept of spagetti-isation.

Comment

They don't know

Physics has reached a dead end in many ways. Every time they don't know something, they invent a new particle, a new number of dimensions, imaginary time, invisible dark matter, undetectable dark energy, phlogiston, aether, continuous creation, flat earth, geocentricity .........

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom View Post
                Physics has reached a dead end in many ways. Every time they don't know something, they invent a new particle, a new number of dimensions, imaginary time, invisible dark matter, undetectable dark energy, phlogiston, aether, continuous creation, flat earth, geocentricity .........
                Like I've said before, God seams more plausible than some so called scientific explanations.

Do we pay these people?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Like I've said before, God seams more plausible than some so called scientific explanations.

Do we pay these people?
                  A lot of scientists believe in God, including Einstein. NO reason why science and God can't co-exist.

Comment

Now there's a poster that I didn't know we missed until he appeared!

Hallo Soup Dragon!

Can I be your friend?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      When I was young I was intrigued by the concept of spagetti-isation.
                      Originally posted by LostInBrussels View Post
                      A lot of scientists believe in God, including Einstein. NO reason why science and God can't co-exist.
                      Wait a minute. The Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster. It all becomes clear.

I have unwittingly discovered the unifying theory.

Comment

Working...
                      X