• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BYTE Magazine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Oh don't you start! I got it in the neck yesterday when I confessed that I read books with equations in them
    No, no, I'm intrigued !

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
      what about vsj? although it no longer drops through the letterbox [sniff].
      I thought I was the only subscriber to the Visual Systems Journal.

RC in still-mourning-for-Freelance-Informer mode.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Ahh, Jerry Pournelle and Chaos Manor. Didn't he give his computers names? Can't remember what called them...
        I remember that his original IBM PC was called "Lucy van Pelt"

I've tried to forget, but any mention of him brings it back

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          No, no, I'm intrigued !
          I used to work for the technology division of an engineering company and it was considered part of the job to read these (and other) mags.
          I used to enjoy Jerry Pournelle's column but the general opinion among the lads was that he was a bit of a jessy.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Parody of Pournelle's BYTE column from rec.humor.funny

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I remember that his original IBM PC was called "Lucy van Pelt"

I've tried to forget, but any mention of him brings it back
              Originally posted by Jerry Pournelle
              Alex named it Lucy Van Pelt because it was such a fussbudget.
              Yup! There you go.

A 'fussbudget'

As for 'Big Cheetah' ... apparently an i286 with 2Mb ... the mind boggles.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Ha! Excellent.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yes, I have piles of Byte, Dr. Dobbs, Elektor, Wireless World, RadCom, Practical Wireless, Practical Electronics & loads of others I can't remember the names of, going mouldy in a cellar in one house. Dumped several pallet loads a while back, but still have more to go.

I can't for the life of me think why I thought it important back then to keep them now.

Get several periodicals delivered now, free, that I normally take along to a client and leave in their coffee room, rather than fill up my paper bin at home.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

It's amazing how the articles move from being high brow & difficult to understand to merely tedious & uninteresting as the years went on.

Is that because the quality went down, or because your knowledge went up

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Not as funny as the real thing. http://www.chaosmanorreviews.com/
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X