• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BYTE Magazine

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BYTE Magazine"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Probably not.

Did he mean thermocouple?

I find it amazing that such a device can generate enough current to keep a solenoid pulled in.
    no, deffo a thermistor. resistance changes with temperature, so you can use it to slowly turn things down as they get hotter

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I dunno.

I think, on reflection, it was a bit of both, though, I suspect, rather more of the first.

As time went on, and technology advanced, most of the really interesting stuff became buried in little bits of black plastic.

And the little bits of black plastic became smaller & smaller.

Eventually, of course, they'll disappear altogether & all that's left will be grey goo.
    My bosses gas went off two days ago. He came in yesterday and said 'It's the thermistor, whatever that is.'

So I told them. Years and years of useless knowledge. It wont get me a payrise will it ?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Parody of Pournelle's BYTE column from rec.humor.funny
    Not as funny as the real thing. http://www.chaosmanorreviews.com/

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

It's amazing how the articles move from being high brow & difficult to understand to merely tedious & uninteresting as the years went on.

Is that because the quality went down, or because your knowledge went up

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Yes, I have piles of Byte, Dr. Dobbs, Elektor, Wireless World, RadCom, Practical Wireless, Practical Electronics & loads of others I can't remember the names of, going mouldy in a cellar in one house. Dumped several pallet loads a while back, but still have more to go.

I can't for the life of me think why I thought it important back then to keep them now.

Get several periodicals delivered now, free, that I normally take along to a client and leave in their coffee room, rather than fill up my paper bin at home.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Ha! Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    I remember that his original IBM PC was called "Lucy van Pelt"

I've tried to forget, but any mention of him brings it back
    Originally posted by Jerry Pournelle
    Alex named it Lucy Van Pelt because it was such a fussbudget.
    Yup! There you go.

A 'fussbudget'

As for 'Big Cheetah' ... apparently an i286 with 2Mb ... the mind boggles.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    No, no, I'm intrigued !
    I used to work for the technology division of an engineering company and it was considered part of the job to read these (and other) mags.
    I used to enjoy Jerry Pournelle's column but the general opinion among the lads was that he was a bit of a jessy.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Ahh, Jerry Pournelle and Chaos Manor. Didn't he give his computers names? Can't remember what called them...
    I remember that his original IBM PC was called "Lucy van Pelt"

I've tried to forget, but any mention of him brings it back

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    what about vsj? although it no longer drops through the letterbox [sniff].
    I thought I was the only subscriber to the Visual Systems Journal.

RC in still-mourning-for-Freelance-Informer mode.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Oh don't you start! I got it in the neck yesterday when I confessed that I read books with equations in them
    No, no, I'm intrigued !

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    A lady geek !?
    Oh don't you start! I got it in the neck yesterday when I confessed that I read books with equations in them

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I used to read Byte and Dr Dobbs. Happy days.
    A lady geek !?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Oh God. Jerry Pournelle! He used to name his computers things like 'Big Cat' and 'Mothership' and endlessly drone on about how he struggled manfully to add 1Mb of RAM to his latest baby.

He was a total wang - in the AtW mold.
    Beat me to it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X