• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business sectors you wont work in.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would work in pretty much any sector....

I would write software for the Labour party.

I would write an IR35 database for HMRC.

I would write a missile guidance system for the MOD, but I would hard code its destination to Paris.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
      I went for an interview for missile guidance. I asked my old fella if it was morally right - he told me that if I didn't do it someone else would. Never got that one anyhow.
      Better they be guided than unguided.
      Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        That is how atrocities become possible...
        In that the missile will still be made whether I am there or someone else.

And then sold to both sides and maybe this is the bit I do not agree with moreso.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
          Better they be guided than unguided.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Are there any?

I was once asked to do a contract working for a pharmaceutical company in cheshire which undertook animal testing.

Was told I would be asked if I was in agreement with stuff such as LD50 etc. Decided I wouldnt be able to lie through my teeth just to get the job so declined the interview.
            The tobacco industry.

Although I have a mate who didn't have a problem with it and did well...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'd have nothing to do with ID cards.

Comment

Once met a chap at a bus stop in a business park - he said he worked in IT and had just arrived in the country & was having trouble finding a job in the sector he wanted to move into.
                "What sector's that?"
                "Legal"
                "Oh, like City law firms?"
                "No, anything legal"

His last job had been a Unix/database administrator for a stolen identity database for an Eastern European mafia organisation. He was wondering how to describe it on his CV, poor lad.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  The tobacco industry.

Although I have a mate who didn't have a problem with it and did well...
                  My mate, who didn't smoke had a problem, she was given so many free cigs she didn't have any room on or in her desk to put them. She would not give them away and was not alowed to throw them away.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Countries you wont work in

I guess you all would not work in Iraq but how about the North Korean Local
                    government or importing Zimbabwe tobacco

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                      My mate, who didn't smoke had a problem, she was given so many free cigs she didn't have any room on or in her desk to put them. She would not give them away and was not alowed to throw them away.
                      God! What a bitch.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X