• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Dog?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with collies?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Just wanted to put a word in for Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Absolutely wonderful dogs, especially with children. They *do not* deserve the rep they have got from being owned by idiot chav's who think they are hard and then dump them when they realise they are actually more likely to lick you to death than try and bite anyone.

The are loyal, obedient and exceptionally patient, especially with kids, and have skin like a rhino that will take anything small children can throw at them without blinking.

They are short haired, so low maintenance and havea relaxed attitude to exercise. They will love it when available but don;t get stressed if not walked every day.

You might also think about going to your local rescue center. Most will have a whole variety of dogs needing a home and you may well end up with a breed you never considered to begin with as well as giving an abandoned animal a new home.
      Are you serious ? I wouldn't let one of my kids within a mile of any dog that is capable of this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1309601.ece

There are plenty of breeds that would never do this even if maltreated.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
        What's wrong with collies?
        Very high maintenance.

That is, if you're going to look after it properly.

They can be super-hyper if they're not kept exercised, or don't have a large garden/field to run about in. They're not what I'd call a calm family dog.

Having said that, there are exceptions, as with most things. Staffies are lovely - agree with DaveB there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
          Are you serious ? I wouldn't let one of my kids within a mile of any dog that is capable of this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1309601.ece

I'm sorry, but in the vast majority of cases, it's the owner - not the dog - that needs putting down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
            Not true - all dogs are pack animals and are capable of this. There are many more stories of Staffs actually keeping children from harm (I believe my mother's staff jumped to stop me falling into an open fire as a toddler), but those never make good stories for the quality newspapers you seem to read.
            Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              ...i've finally decided i'm going to get what i've always wanted - a dog.

...I've very little experience with dogs

...dogs can range from lovely to insane

..Big'ish dog
              http://www.the-sextape.com/wp-conten...ice_jordan.jpg

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Hows about a fighting dog ?

You are unwise to lower your defenses
                Last week I listened to a conversation between to contractors boasting about who had the dog that had bitten the most people! I didn’t think that people like this existed.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Last week I listened to a conversation between to contractors boasting about who had the dog that had bitten the most people! I didn’t think that people like this existed.
                  The world is full of sad, twisted , sick individuals.
                  stick around

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'd also recommend a black Labrador - ours was quite happy to be dressed in pyjamas and wheeled around in a dolls' pram. Not sure what it did for his street cred though...

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                      Not true - all dogs are pack animals and are capable of this. There are many more stories of Staffs actually keeping children from harm (I believe my mother's staff jumped to stop me falling into an open fire as a toddler), but those never make good stories for the quality newspapers you seem to read.
                      LOL, it was the first one to come up on Google. We had a Red Setter when I was a child and it had been terribly treated and abused by the previous owner. It was the most docile and affectionate dog, never once even tried to bite anyone.

But perhaps you prefer these, yes lovely dogs:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-1605370.html

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...alk.1955451.jp

Comment

Working...
                      X