• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What Dog?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What Dog?"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    That dog over there. Nick it while the owner's in the Co-op. She'll never catch up with you on that mobility scooter anyway.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Still no definitive answer, so let's try another tack.

They say dogs look like their owners. So what do you look like? A bulldog? Basset Hound? Poodle maybe?

Come to think of it, now there are cartoonizers, why not have a caninizer? A site where you upload a mugshot of yourself and it selects a dead ringer of a mutt tailored to your physiognomy?
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 November 2009, 23:13.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Another vote for a black lab

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    This sounds like a Plan B to me.

You'll have to bid for the website.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Hot dog.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    WHS. I like the bit about getting a gun dog, as the training is very good. You do need to keep an eye on them if you live near a river or lake as they'll be in like a shot. Not recommended for canal boat trips

Definitely don't get a Spaniel. Not only can they be nervous wrecks (Springer Spaniel) but a friend had one (Cocker Spaniel) which got jealous of their new born baby and went for it.
    Ey? Any dog can be a nervous wrecks...springers are gun dogs...and cocker's are generally no problem...any dog can be a problem - it's the owners who make the difference...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
    You know the answer, you need a black lab.

Ours was a "failed" gun dog, so very well trained, but the most amazing family dog, would be as happy walking for hours in the rain as catching a pheasant as letting kids try and ride him like a horse.
    WHS. I like the bit about getting a gun dog, as the training is very good. You do need to keep an eye on them if you live near a river or lake as they'll be in like a shot. Not recommended for canal boat trips

Definitely don't get a Spaniel. Not only can they be nervous wrecks (Springer Spaniel) but a friend had one (Cocker Spaniel) which got jealous of their new born baby and went for it.
    Last edited by Sysman; 1 November 2009, 17:33.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Springer Spaniels are a lot of fun...thought of getting a rescue dog as well? You know you're doing a good deed...and better than buying some overbred weakling from an obsessive Barbara Woodhouse type

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Not true - all dogs are pack animals and are capable of this. There are many more stories of Staffs actually keeping children from harm (I believe my mother's staff jumped to stop me falling into an open fire as a toddler), but those never make good stories for the quality newspapers you seem to read.
    LOL, it was the first one to come up on Google. We had a Red Setter when I was a child and it had been terribly treated and abused by the previous owner. It was the most docile and affectionate dog, never once even tried to bite anyone.

But perhaps you prefer these, yes lovely dogs:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-1605370.html

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...alk.1955451.jp

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'd also recommend a black Labrador - ours was quite happy to be dressed in pyjamas and wheeled around in a dolls' pram. Not sure what it did for his street cred though...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Last week I listened to a conversation between to contractors boasting about who had the dog that had bitten the most people! I didn’t think that people like this existed.
    The world is full of sad, twisted , sick individuals.
    stick around

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Hows about a fighting dog ?

You are unwise to lower your defenses
    Last week I listened to a conversation between to contractors boasting about who had the dog that had bitten the most people! I didn’t think that people like this existed.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    ...i've finally decided i'm going to get what i've always wanted - a dog.

...I've very little experience with dogs

...dogs can range from lovely to insane

..Big'ish dog
    http://www.the-sextape.com/wp-conten...ice_jordan.jpg

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    There are plenty of breeds that would never do this even if maltreated.
    Not true - all dogs are pack animals and are capable of this. There are many more stories of Staffs actually keeping children from harm (I believe my mother's staff jumped to stop me falling into an open fire as a toddler), but those never make good stories for the quality newspapers you seem to read.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    Are you serious ? I wouldn't let one of my kids within a mile of any dog that is capable of this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1309601.ece

There are plenty of breeds that would never do this even if maltreated.
    I'm sorry, but in the vast majority of cases, it's the owner - not the dog - that needs putting down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X