• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When the money runs out....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
    Been on the bench for 8 months now and not long to go before I'm out of dosh and have to start doing juggling act with credit cards.

Anyone know for how long I can get into arrears on my mortgage before they start taking steps to recover the property? I know it varies from lender to lender but I'm single, no kids , living with girlfriend and have about 150k equity in the property.

Was going to talk to citizen's advice but just can't get through - a sure sign of the times!
    You need to do something about it now. I have seen too many people in the same predicament as you and then they really become stuck when the credit runs out.
    It’s unlikely that you will get a role soon if you have been out for eight months. Contract you credit card companies and get them to allow deferring your payments without adding interest. Ask your mortgage company if you can make reduced payments and add the outstanding to your mortgage.

Pay your self tax free redundancy from your limited company.
    Wind up the company.
    Make yourself redundant and sign on for benefits.

If you don’t do it yourself, later it will be forced upon you by your creditors.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Contract you credit card companies and get them to allow deferring your payments without adding interest.

Have you tried that? I did, they told me to bog off then started threatening bailiffs if I didn't pay.

Good luck with that

Comment

Don't use bank overdraft if you got any - bank can ask you to repay it in full at any time...

Comment

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
          Been on the bench for 8 months now and not long to go before I'm out of dosh and have to start doing juggling act with credit cards.

Anyone know for how long I can get into arrears on my mortgage before they start taking steps to recover the property? I know it varies from lender to lender but I'm single, no kids , living with girlfriend and have about 150k equity in the property.

Was going to talk to citizen's advice but just can't get through - a sure sign of the times!
          If it's that bad I'd consider remortgaging to give yourself some breathing space.

Of course the downside is that will increase your mortgage payments, and they may not agree anyway.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

first advice is get a job...
            I'm doing a crap 100 a day one just while I look for something proper....are you seriously saying you can get nothing?

second thing is spell your username correctly please....Becherovka is one of my favourite tipples - heartily recommended to all who haven't tried it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka

Comment

You have done well to last 8 months - personally I'd have taken any old crap job before that time, mainly because of boredom. Daytime telly is as pants as my DIY skills and there are only so many PS3/computer games you can play.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                second thing is spell your username correctly please....Becherovka is one of my favourite tipples - heartily recommended to all who haven't tried it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka
                errrr, I'm named after Bekarovka in the Ukraine, where my family are from.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  WHS.

When push comes to shove it's any port in a storm.

Etc.

I fixed fruit machines for 10 interminable months at £6/hr.
                  And look how far you've come since
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Have you tried that? I did, they told me to bog off then started threatening bailiffs if I didn't pay.
                    I knew a chap who got that treatment during the 90’s turn down. He was single with no ties in the UK so he sold everything he could, took out as much debt that he trick people into giving him and legged it abroad; Spain I think.

He was an inspiration to me.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Good luck with that
                      No, I havn't tried but I know someone who did and it worked.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X