• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving the Queen out of the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACHTUNG!

This thread should be locked immediately as it borders on treason!

I believe even today one old law requires anyone proposing to remove Her Majesty should be shipped to Australia...

Comment

Didn't King-Emperor Edward VIII have to abdicate when he married Wallis Simpson, a divorcee?

But then Prince Charles is divorced too? How does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Dong View Post
        Didn't King-Emperor Edward VIII have to abdicate when he married Wallis Simpson, a divorcee?

But then Prince Charles is divorced too? How does that work?
        Edward was essentially forced to abdicate because the establishment in Govt and the CoE at the time refused to condone the marriage.

The church at the time would not allow divorcee's to re-marry in church when a previous spouse was still living and it was felt Edward would not be able to retain the position of Supreme Governor of the Church of England if the marriage went ahead.

On top of this the Govt at the time did not approve of Wallis Simpson as a suitable person to be queen. Had they done so they would have made more of an effort to overcome the legal issues involved - such as Simpsons first marriage not being recognised as annulled ( in the US ) by the English Church.
        It was generally felt that she was exploiting the King for financial and personal advantage. There was also concern that Edward would further involve himself in politics and that were he to abdicate it would prevent him for interfearing in government policy.

In the end they remained married, ostensiably happily, for 35 years untill Edwards death.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Oh, thanks for that. It's actually quite a sweet story in the end then. He gave it all up for love.... So did they have any kids? I wonder if there is anyone out there that is suddenly going to make a claim for the crown?

I wonder if they still send people to the tower......

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The church at the time would not allow divorcee's to re-marry in church when a previous spouse was still living and it was felt Edward would not be able to retain the position of Supreme Governor of the Church of England if the marriage went ahead.

On top of this the Govt at the time did not approve of Wallis Simpson as a suitable person to be queen. Had they done so they would have made more of an effort to overcome the legal issues involved - such as Simpsons first marriage not being recognised as annulled ( in the US ) by the English Church.
            It was generally felt that she was exploiting the King for financial and personal advantage. There was also concern that Edward would further involve himself in politics and that were he to abdicate it would prevent him for interfearing in government policy.

In the end they remained married, ostensiably happily, for 35 years untill Edwards death.
            Edward and his bed-hopping colonial trollope of a mistress/wife were rampant nazi sympathisers too, let us not forget that. Hitler had him all lined up to be reinstated had they been able to successfully invade too.
            The whole divorce thing was used as a smokescreen to disguise that fact...........allegedly.

HTH
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Oh..... well it was a sweet story....

$%$^$^!!!! That was my happy thought for today!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Is anyone here looking forward to seeing Charles (or will it be George?) become King? I know I am. Beats having President Beckham any day of the week.
                She is close to the age where she will definetly need a carpet cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  She is close to the age where she will definetly need a carpet cleaner.
                  I wouldn't like to clean that place. Corgi nuggets all over the place I suspect.
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                  X