• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The little things that annoy you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent shopkeepers who hold out their hand without telling you how much money they would like you to put in it.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Tiny little ridiculously small "keyhole" ("a**hole" more like) browse/file input boxes in Windows, why can't they at least be resizeable?

The height of absurdity is reached with Windows environment variable setting, specifically for PATH, where you get only one line to struggle with a huge long string of pathnames. Why on Earth can't they have a more user-friendly table-based input form for PATH?

And in File Explorer, there are acres of blank space to the right, but file names longer than about five characters are truncated.

I'll stop now, before I get really carried away - Whole books have been written about Windows Annoyances.

(and Unix is just as bad in its own ways)
      Can I add the drop down URL box in IE8, WTF did MS put a delete cross directly below the drop down arrow? To make things worse it's hidden until you hover over the area.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

No "view last unread post in a thread" button against thread titles. WTF isn't this the USP of any forum software, let alone left unimplemented? Designed to increase user paging? Page numbers that are too small to be pressed accurately on smartphones without zooming in closely, though this is part compensated for by having a user name field that will rarely if ever pressed immediately adjacent to a field that that will be pressed often; althogh not as often on smartphones, where it's edging towards 50/50 pressing username or thread title.

Comment

Flatlander products. For the most part I live in 3 dimensions (+1 of space) and require mostly 3 dimensional products, so feel a little suspicious when 2 dimensional products are advertised, as I'm not sure which dimension I am going to be missing out on, although to be honest I really need them all.

e.g. this sleeping bag packed dimensions are 40 x 35 cm. This is great so far and would pass through airport check-in no problem as it stands, but the third dimension is sadly indeterminate. It can't be zero. Should I be suspicious of the missing dimension? Is it so huge that they are embarrassed to reveal it? Or perhaps they just wish to spare a little ink in not revealing this unimportant dimension? If it's not dead flat, I'm asking for a refund.

Comment

Working...
          X