• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The feelgood thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    WHS + 1

We eat them a lot cos they work really well with gluten free flour and are the closest she can get to doughnuts
    gluten free donuts ?

many spies have died to bring me that information. many brave men.

I have a Celiac (sp) friend who will be forever in your debt

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      gluten free donuts ?

many spies have died to bring me that information. many brave men.

I have a Celiac (sp) friend who will be forever in your debt

Not exactly like doughnuts but along the same lines. Dough balls deep fried and sweetened.

In this case they are the size of walnuts, the dough is made from mostly milk powder with some flour added and moistened with fresh milk or cream. They are sweetened with a sugar syrup infused with cardomom. You are supposed to soak them in the syrup before eating but we like them warm and just dipped in it as you eat them. You could dust them with sugar instead if you wanted.

Basic Recipe :

For the Syrup :

250g Sugar
      200ml Water
      2 or three cardomom pods.

For the Balls :

130g dried milk powder
      3 tablespoons gluten free flour
      2 tablespoons melted butter
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      125ml whole or semi skimmed milk
      Oil to fry.

Make up the syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water and bringing to a simmer. Once it has all dissolved and the syrup starts to thicken take it off the heat and add the cardomom pods. Leave to stand while you make the balls.

Mix the dry ingrediants in a bowl and add the melted butter. Mix and start adding the milk untill you have a smooth dough. Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Divide the dough into walnut sized balls. This should make 15 to 20.

Either in a deep sided frying pan or a deep fat fryer bring the oil to a medium heat. You dont want it too hot or they balls will split open as they cook.

Cook the balls in two batches, so they have room to move in the oil, untill they are dark golden brown in colour.

Remove from the oil and drain. You can either serve them straight away with the syrup on the side for dipping, or the traditional way which is to place them in a dish and pour over the syrup, leaving them to soak for an hour or so before eating. Done this way they go very nicely with clotted cream or icecream.

The finished product
      Last edited by DaveB; 16 October 2009, 11:25.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Not exactly like doughnuts but along the same lines. Dough balls deep fried and sweetened.

In this case they are the size of walnuts, the dough is made from mostly milk powder with some flour added and moistened with fresh milk or cream. They are sweetened with a sugar syrup infused with cardomom. You are supposed to soak them in the syrup before eating but we like them warm and just dipped in it as you eat them. You could dust them with sugar instead if you wanted.

Basic Recipe :

For the Syrup :

250g Sugar
        200ml Water
        2 or three cardomom pods.

For the Balls :

130g dried milk powder
        3 tablespoons gluten free flour
        2 tablespoons melted butter
        1/2 teaspoon baking powder
        125ml whole or semi skimmed milk
        Oil to fry.

Make up the syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water and bringing to a simmer. Once it has all dissolved and the syrup starts to thicken take it off the heat and add the cardomom pods. Leave to stand while you make the balls.

Mix the dry ingrediants in a bowl and add the melted butter. Mix and start adding the milk untill you have a smooth dough. Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Divide the dough into walnut sized balls. This should make 15 to 20.

Either in a deep sided frying pan or a deep fat fryer bring the oil to a medium heat. You dont want it too hot or they balls will split open as they cook.

Cook the balls in two batches, so they have room to move in the oil, untill they are dark golden brown in colour.

Remove from the oil and drain. You can either serve them straight away with the syrup on the side for dipping, or the traditional way which is to place them in a dish and pour over the syrup, leaving them to soak for an hour or so before eating. Done this way they go very nicely with clotted cream or icecream.
        wowser.

i just told him, i swear he is getting aroused

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Feelgood story

My radio broke last night, 6 days before the end of John Lewis's 1 year warranty. I took it in this morning and emerged about 15 minutes later with a shiny replacement.
          The process involved 6 people, but I was passed between them swiftly and with great geniality, and only once very briefly looked at as if I was a scumbag. Hooray for John Lewis!

Comment

Working...
          X