• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do other nationalities call us?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a code review with a young gentleman of Chinese decent, and said "Looks like a bunch of gobbledygook", was then worried that maybe it came from the nasty chinese word at the end.... turns out it doesn't. :-)

Comment

Theres a big ol' list right here
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        PS I may be behind the times here but why is "chink" not yet racist? Have heard perfectly pc sorts say they are popping down the chinkie for a takeaway. Nobody seems to have anything against the Chinese (yet)
        On one of the bridges across the tyne, in the early nineties, there was written "Geordies support the Chinese people", probably in response to Tianneman Square. Someone moron had added - "by giving them all their jobs". You could still see where he'd dribbled.

Anyway, I recall a Chinese friend who spent a year in San Fransisco. First day at the university, he overheard these big (6 foot +) black guys discuss how they were "gonna shoot some chinky". He was terrified. Turns out that chinky is just slang for "Basketball hoops". It's the chains you see - they go chink.

When I fertilised my wife, some of the older generation of my family were heard conjecturing whether the kids would have slitty eyes. For the record, 2 have, 1 hasn't.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          I witnessed a piste-rage argument between a brit and a yank, and the yank ended up saying "You don't give a sh!t because you're a brit, Brits never give a sh!t"

I thought that was a really wierd thing to say - is that a common perception of us??
          I couldn't give a sh!t if it is.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            When I fertilised my wife.
            You old romantic, you!
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

When I fertilised my wife, some of the older generation of my family were heard conjecturing whether the kids would have slitty eyes. For the record, 2 have, 1 hasn't.
              Are you a chinky slit eye then?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

You're not related to Prince Philip by any chance?

Comment

The French used to (maybe still do) call the English "Les ****offs"* - not all of them, mainly the foul-mouthed ones in tracksuits on booze-cruises.

*there is no way that's getting past the swear-changer.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                    Germans - (sp) Insel-affe (Island Apes) Ja ja sehr gut hahahahaha!
                    I've also heard Teebeutel (tea bags).
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      I've also heard Teebeutel (tea bags).
                      Because we drink a lot of tea, or after the, ummm, hobby?

Comment

Working...
                      X