• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Book Ever Read ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i read flanagans run years ago. 1983 - the year it was published. it is about a marathon of marathons or something. i certainly enjoyed it though i can't remember much other than the cheating germans and a train that gets in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Non-Fiction: Data Analysis using SQL and Excel by Gordon S Linoff.
      Can you actually learn yourself into a data analyst role this way, just curious?

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
        I'd put 100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez high up the list as when I read that aged 16 it was the first book given to me as part of a school course that had been written within my lifetime (just).

I read it in both English and Spanish and loved every moment of it.

I re-read it a couple of years back and while it brought back memories, the impact of the first reading is no longer there.
        for me it was the other way around. i struggled a bit with it the first time. i didn't enjoy it. when i read it again, some ten years later - i absolutely loved it. stunning novel. i must read it again.

Comment

Fiction : Dune - Frank Herbert
          Non- Fiction : Diary - Samuel Pepys.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

On another note why does most sci fi have poor writing and characterisation (e.g. Dune.) and what does that say about the people who like it?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
              Can you actually learn yourself into a data analyst role this way, just curious?
              I'm afraid I don't know any IT role you can just learn yourself into - you seem to need recent experience in all of them. Sorry, old bean. If I knew of one I'd have bought the book and no longer be on the bench!
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                I'm afraid I don't know any IT role you can just learn yourself into - you seem to need recent experience in all of them. Sorry, old bean. If I knew of one I'd have bought the book and no longer be on the bench!
                However you can twist the truth and learn something close to your past experience.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                X