• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diesel vehicles keep engine running

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Why do people in diesel engine cars, vans and trucks keep the engine running when they have pulled over and stopped? I see it all the time. Ten minutes on the phone by the side of the road? No problem, I'll keep the engine running. Coaches and buses are the worst.

Petrol-powered vehicle drivers have no such aversion to the ignition key. Why only diesel drivers do this? Are they scared their engine won't work?
    A diesel on tick-over uses very little fuel. When it gets real cold here on the farm we'll leave the machines running for days on end so stuff isn't frozen up when needed.

What you see is also partly a mirage, petrol drivers leave their engines running too. It's just that diesels on tick-over are noisier, so you notice them more.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Yep, even if the car is on your own driveway. Keeps the "solved" crime stats looking good.
      This also applies even if there's a responsible adult in the passenger seat.

Comment

Well, probably cos with a diesel you have to wait 5 seconds for the igniter light to go out before you can turn the starter. Such a waste of one's life that is.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Well, probably cos with a diesel you have to wait 5 seconds for the igniter light to go out before you can turn the starter. Such a waste of one's life that is.
          Only when the engine cold. HDi s seem to be instant even when cold. I even turn my engine off at traffic lights, but I would never have done that in my Ford.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X