• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moves to stop 'vertical drinking'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I welcomed the relaxation of opening hours, extended licences etc. The frustrating thing is that pubs are not supposed to serve people who are drunk. My local in Brum, with 12 real ales, used to be a great place (I put in 20 years service) but went down hill after a change of management. Local competition, including the opening of a Weatherspoons nearby, further reduced trade and meant that they'd accept drunks coming in after other places had shut and would continue to serve them. So the atmosphere deterioates, decent patrons, esp. women, who aren't big drinkers are driven away and the place begins to become a hole.

Enforce the law that exists; don't serve drunk people. Let me have my 6 pints of ale over a long session and walk home at 2am without disturbing anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
      The frustrating thing is that pubs are not supposed to serve people who are drunk...Enforce the law that exists; don't serve drunk people.
      Very well said - people forget that there are already laws in place to deal with this.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
        My local in Brum, with 12 real ales, used to be a great place (I put in 20 years service) but went down hill after a change of management. Local competition, including the opening of a Weatherspoons nearby, further reduced trade and meant that they'd accept drunks coming in after other places had shut and would continue to serve them. So the atmosphere deterioates, decent patrons, esp. women, who aren't big drinkers are driven away and the place begins to become a hole.

Enforce the law that exists; don't serve drunk people. Let me have my 6 pints of ale over a long session and walk home at 2am without disturbing anybody.
        That happened in my local nearly 20 years ago. A lovely country pub which did excellent food had a change of management and went downhill in a similar way. In came the strong beers and microwave food and the couples and women stopped coming.
        Last edited by Sysman; 27 September 2009, 12:40.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

When I first came back to the UK in 2004, I was chating to an old boy in a pub that was closing down. He blamed much on the problems on the way that some pubs go for the youngsters rather than all ages, “There is nobody to teach them how to drink and behave themselves. They need the old people to tell them they are being stupid and to grow up”. I think he was right.

All the laws on standing up, sitting down, where and when bars open, price, size of glass, or even the colour of the bogs is never going to fix the problem of dickheads.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            pubs go for the youngsters rather than all ages, “There is nobody to teach them how to drink and behave themselves. They need the old people to tell them they are being stupid and to grow up”. I think he was right.
            So do I.

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            the problem of dickheads.
            Don't blame me. I do my drinking at home. I'm too fraidy to go out to drinking establishments of an evening.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              It is not the pubs fault, nor is it my fault.
              It is the fault of the individual concerned and a failing of whoever you would like to blame for the lack of proper policing of tese kinds of people.

This is another example of the nanny state interfering in our private freedoms.
              Instead of a sweeping catc all policy the "system" should be targetting those who abuse it.
              It is about time people were made responsible for their own actions and punished accordingly.
              Well, my ideal situation is that drinking laws are relaxed AND we didn't have a culture which meant pubs and streets are awash (literally at times) with drunken chavs on a weekend. But I don't know how that can be achieved and if we have to choose one, I'll pick the one which makes me feel safe to walk home through the town-centre and which means I don't find someone has pissed against my front door.

It's not ideal. But to me it's the better option... I mean I live in a pretty civilised town but even here it's a nightmare Saturday night. Police everywhere to break up fights, people shouting and singing you can hear from several streets away.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Pubs just aren't the same.

It's all cut price, pile em high, bring em cheap.

What's wrong with decent ale and good pub grub
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Nothing, except that it is far more profitable to charge a premium price to youngsters who you can encorage to drink more, will be happy with crap over priced food and the only extra you have to provide is really loud music.

With that, I'm off for some ale (Young's I think tonight) and what is more, I'm going to stand up.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    Pubs just aren't the same.

It's all cut price, pile em high, bring em cheap.

The margins on pubs are pretty small which is why so many are closing. It used to be the case that a pub with a good reputation for food made more from the food side of their business than it did from the beer. In the village I live in there were a few pubs who did really good food. There isn't one now. The breweries latched onto the food side but outsorced much of it. So now it microwaved meals charged out at restraunt prices. People don't eat there so a big earner goes. All that is left is to pile the pub with kids drinking lager. Friends of my mum and dad owned a pub in the sticks for a few years. They focussed on the food and spirts drinkers - but they had a free house and could do what they wanted
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X