• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Power of Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Power of Christianity

Queen extols the 'unique' power of Christianity

From The Telegraph

By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
    (Filed: 16/11/2005)

The Queen opened the Church of England's General Synod yesterday with a ringing endorsement of the "uniqueness" of the Christian faith.

In a speech that reflected her personal beliefs as well as her role as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, she contrasted the enduring nature of Christianity with the rapid changes in society.

"For Christians, this pace of change represents an opportunity," she told a packed hall in Church House, Westminster. "When so much is in flux, when limitless amounts of information, much of it ephemeral, are instantly accessible on demand, there is a renewed hunger for that which endures and gives meaning.

"The Christian Church can speak uniquely to that need, for at the heart of our faith stands the conviction that all people, irrespective of race, background or circumstances, can find lasting significance and purpose in the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

The Queen's words will be welcomed by churchgoers who fear that the message of Christianity is in danger of being diluted amid efforts to embrace a multi-faith culture, particularly after the terrorist attacks on London.

Since the July 7 bombings, Church leaders have intensified their attempts to promote inter-faith dialogue to demonstrate solidarity with Muslim communities.

In a Synod debate on terrorism yesterday, one speaker called for Muslims to be invited to sit on the Synod as a gesture of reconciliation.

The Prince of Wales caused controversy in a 1994 television interview when he said that when he became king he would like to be known as Defender of Faith rather than Defender of the Faith to reflect the spectrum of belief in Britain.

The Queen's speech, in which she formally inaugurated the eighth Synod, the Church's "parliament", comes shortly after a vitriolic attack on her by al-Qa'eda.

She was recently denounced in a video by Ayman al-Zawahiri, the second-in-command to Osama bin Laden, as "one of the severest enemies of Islam" who was responsible for Britain's "crusader laws".

Al-Zawahiri also threatened British Islamic leaders who "work for the pleasure of Elizabeth, the head of the Church of England".

The Queen, who was accompanied by Prince Philip, told the Synod that one of its priorities should be the deepening of relations between the Christian Churches in Britain.

"At a time when the Christian family is rightly increasing its efforts to promote greater dialogue and understanding with those of other faiths, it remains important to be at the heart of the Synod's concerns."

She also made an apparent reference to the splits and divisions in the Anglican Church over issues such as homosexuality and women bishops.

Welcoming the appointment of Dr John Sentamu as Archbishop of York, she warned him that he and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, faced a "heavy burden" of responsibility over the next few years.

"Down the centuries the Church has had to endure many steep and rugged pathways," she said. "But the promise is that with God as our guide we may have the strength to live our lives courageously."

Dr Williams thanked the Queen, saying: "In the face of all that we now confront, the unchanging truth of God's revelation in Christ is a rock that must remain the foundation and inspiration of all that we do.

"We are therefore grateful for all those, and in particular Your Majesty, who by their steadfastness give us orientation in challenging times."

The Queen has come under pressure from liberals to step down as Supreme Governor of the Church. In 2000, the Liberal Democrats voted in favour of ending the right.

Her position is thought by some to be offensive to people of other faiths such as Jews, Muslims and Hindus and to Christians who are not members of the Anglican Church.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Lib Dems are the embodiment of the God hating tree hugging terrorist appeasers who aim to spread their namby pamby atheist views.
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Yawn ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Chico,

Why do you post so much Crap

I did not read it - just know it's crap !!

All you get is abuse as replies.

By now you should have realised that none of the users of this board give a flying **** about your beliefs or any other crap you try to force feed people.
      Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

I thought it was interesting.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
          Chico,

Why do you post so much Crap

I did not read it - just know it's crap !!

All you get is abuse as replies.

By now you should have realised that none of the users of this board give a flying **** about your beliefs or any other crap you try to force feed people.
          Well the fact that you replied suggests that you are full of crap as it shows you are bothered and took the time to reply. Says it all really!!
          Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Should have learnt by now not to wind up the trolls
            Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Chico, the post is interesting. I would agree with most of what it says, but your additional remarks are what annoy me.

You make huge assumptions abotu people and attach sentiment and attributes that you think exist rather than have proof of.

You are now becoming like the boy who d=cried wolf. Even when you have a genuinly interesting post or point people will not read it and will assume it is the usual Chico Christian propaganda.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Isnt the Queen head of the Masons ?

Comment

I echo the words of the Prophet Jeremiah

"...But if I say, "I will not mention him
                  or speak any more in his name,"
                  his word is in my heart like a fire,
                  a fire shut up in my bones.
                  I am weary of holding it in;
                  indeed, I cannot.

10 I hear many whispering,
                  "Terror on every side!
                  Report him! Let's report him!"
                  All my friends
                  are waiting for me to slip, saying,
                  "Perhaps he will be deceived;
                  then we will prevail over him
                  and take our revenge on him."

11 But the LORD is with me like a mighty warrior;
                  so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail.
                  They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced;
                  their dishonor will never be forgotten.

12 O LORD Almighty, you who examine the righteous
                  and probe the heart and mind,
                  let me see your vengeance upon them,
                  for to you I have committed my cause.

13 Sing to the LORD!
                  Give praise to the LORD!
                  He rescues the life of the needy
                  from the hands of the wicked.

..... " Jeremiah 20
                  Sola gratia