• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with the help....I need your help PLEASE READ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sympathies BB.

Never engage a tradesman/firm without a personal recommendation from someone you trust, or a couple of credible references that you can check.

Make sure they belong to some kind of reputable trade body and check that they really do belong to it.

There are so many of these jokers around nowadays. Plumbers seem to be the worst from, what I hear.

Fortunately I'm a pretty handy, so rarely have to get any trades involved if I have the time to spend on a job myself.

Cowboy tradesmen are experts at intimidating people and making outrageous demands over and above their quote. I suspect most of them are full of shyte and just trying it on.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      No I'm serious. First you let a workman walk all over you (9 weeks for a bathroom FFS) then you over react and threaten kidnapping on a public forum.

Like I said - a bit of a plonker. Or at least severely lacking in judgement.

Um when did I threaten to kidnap anyone, publicly or otherwise

SG: surely you are never serious, or at least should never be taken seriously. Now disist in hijacking this thread

NB: when I said hijacking I wasn't suggesting that I was going to take a plane by force either HTH
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Cowboy tradesmen are experts at intimidating people and making outrageous demands over and above their quote. I suspect most of them are full of shyte and just trying it on.
        I suspect so too bogeyman but if I don't make a stand against the individual concerned then someone else, who is perhaps less able to deal with it, will be next and it will be, in part, due to my lack of appropriate action.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

What did you get fleeced for in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
            I suspect so too bogeyman but if I don't make a stand against the individual concerned then someone else, who is perhaps less able to deal with it, will be next and it will be, in part, due to my lack of appropriate action.
            mate - a very good post and good on you.

We need more people like this. It is such a shame that more people cant think like this - as the general opinion of people when things occur is "its not my problem I wont get involved"

Good on ya.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              What did you get fleeced for in the end?
              Not sure I follow, we basically need our key back and this cowboy workman to back off.

Then we are happy.

Comment

Update

Just found out that the company that the cowboy is trading under is dissolved..

Now what is the number for benefit fraud and HMRC.

Comment

Yes I agree you should make a stand.

Good for you. You'll be doing the community a service.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Just found out that the company that the cowboy is trading under is dissolved..

Now what is the number for benefit fraud and HMRC.

There are a few helpful numbers here
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Not sure I follow, we basically need our key back and this cowboy workman to back off.

Then we are happy.
                      As was said before - you don't want your key back. He could have copies made. Change your locks and do it now. Keep the texts from him and sue him via the small claims courts for the cost of the lock replacement
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X