• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheism R.I.P.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    ...Conclusion: no one is born an atheist. One needs to be indoctrinated into atheism.
    I'm not surprised that people have a natural disposition to believe. But it doesn't prove anything. Evolutionists would say it's a necessary adjunct to our story telling ability.

I'd question the use of the word "indoctrination". Atheism could be indoctrinated, but so could Catholicism. I denied the existence of God at about 10 years old. I was brought up in a non-religious household. My sister has believed all her life, though was "born-again" as an adult.

I don't think atheism is more intellectually rigourous or honest than religion. I think the existence of God or otherwise is axiomatic, not derivable.

I'm convinced it's a matter of choice.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Old chestnut of the week award goes to Nomadd.
      Religious Zealot of the week goes to NotAllThere. Seems everyone is a prize winner on this thread!

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Religious Zealot of the week goes to NotAllThere. Seems everyone is a prize winner on this thread!

Nomadd
        Pay attention at the back!

I became an atheist at the age of 10,

( This is why I don't often actually say what I believe - because the hard-of-thinking then go for ad hominem arguments, rather than addressing what's been said. In case your wondering, the previous sentence was an ad hominid argument, as was this ).
        Last edited by NotAllThere; 8 September 2009, 11:15.

Comment

Pay attention at the back!

I became an atheist at the age of 10,

[snip]
          Pay attention at the front!

Looking at your postings, I'd say - in Dawkins words - you are a Religious Apologist. In no way are your postings those of an Atheist. Go and re-read The God Delusion to understand the difference.

Still, blessed are the Cheesemakers.

Nomadd
          Last edited by nomadd; 8 September 2009, 11:39.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

I see, you're suffering from the same delusion as Dawkins - that if you don't subscribe to his version of Atheism, then you're not a proper atheist. Fundamentalism anyone?

btw - got some excellent Brie from Israel. It was made by Cheeses of Nazareth.
            Last edited by NotAllThere; 8 September 2009, 12:30.

Comment

Religions of the world: A guide.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                Religions of the world: A guide.
                Rastafarianism: Let's smoke this shjt

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I see, you're suffering from the same delusion as Dawkins - that if you don't subscribe to his version of Atheism, then you're not a proper atheist. Fundamentalism anyone?

btw - got some excellent Brie from Israel. It was made by Cheeses of Nazareth.
                  I see you fall into exactly the delusion Dawkins notes in his book: you claim to be an Atheist, but you simply aren't. You are a Religious Apologist. Again, read Dawkins book - properly - to understand the difference.

And you could have some of that nice cheese whilst you are reading.

Nomadd
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm a druid

...oh crap, this isn't the warcraft forum
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                      I'm a druid

...oh crap, this isn't the warcraft forum
                      Spinal Tap FTW!

In ancient times...
                      Hundreds of years before the dawn of history
                      Lived a strange race of people... the Druids

No one knows who they were or what they were doing
                      But their legacy remains
                      Hewn into the living rock... Of Stonehenge

Stonehenge! Where the demons dwell