• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relevant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relevant

There is a poll running on Sky asking whether Christianity is still relevant in Britain. Over 40% of people said no. For some reason this has angered me - it almost feels like our identity is being eroded. Ok church attendance is down but to say that it is not relevant - I find that strangely worrying.

It is fairly obviously important in a historical context, but I'd be very happy to see it (and all other religions) as irrelevant now. Sadly this is unlikely to happen for a long time.

Comment

Its an encouraging sign that people are beginning to think for themselves and abandoning medieval superstition.

What is this thread, Chico bait?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
        There is a poll running on Sky asking whether Christianity is still relevant in Britain. Over 40% of people said no. For some reason this has angered me - it almost feels like our identity is being eroded. Ok church attendance is down but to say that it is not relevant - I find that strangely worrying.

John rejoice the future is not as bleak as Sky Viewers make out. May I recommend this booklet by Nicky Gumbel

For the first time in yonks attendance at church is going up with more young people in the UK now doing an Alpha Course.
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

You lay the bait and the vermin comes to get it.

Comment

Chico is one of those people who see popularity equating to truth. ergo church attendance rising is a good thing.

He is also a hypocrite, Mulim mosque attendance rising is a bad thing

He is also deluded, he believes that if he had been born three thousand years ago in England he would not have been an oak tree worshipper he would have been a Christian.

Free thinkers accept that if they had been born three thousand years ago in England they would have worshipped trees, if they had been born a thousand years ago in North africa they would be muslim, five hundred years ago in England Catholic, 65 years ago in Germany I would have been an enthusiatic member of the Hitler youth. 60 years ago in Russia I would have been a good communist.
            Thankfully we now have the freedom to question what is being rammed down our throats and long may it continue !!

I pity Chico
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Atheism isn't much of an indicator of independent thought. If anything, it's the default option nowadays. Britain must be the only place where Christianity's discontents are more vocal than it's believers. (applies to most other faiths here too).

A lot of people are far too cocky about morality. All they know is that they don't want any instruction from anybody else. There are a few atheists who fill the moral vacuum with a decent command of John Stuart Mill and the like, but the vast majority are just freewheeling off concepts inherited from the Christian Britain of a few generations ago. Charity, philanthropy, - both New Testament Greek words and ideas.

Valid points from EternalOptimist, except I think that you had to be fairly strapping and good looking to do well in the Hitler youth. Most of us spods would have had a terrible time of it.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist

Free thinkers accept that if they had been born three thousand years ago in England they would have worshipped trees, if they had been born a thousand years ago in North africa they would be muslim, five hundred years ago in England Catholic, 65 years ago in Germany I would have been an enthusiatic member of the Hitler youth. 60 years ago in Russia I would have been a good communist.
                And 8 years ago you would have been a New Labour voter.

Comment

I said thinkers not stinkers
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Good points thunderlizard.

Why do these people think Xtianity is irrelevant and yet also reach the conclusion that 90 days is wrong?

Maybe Xtianity is irrelevant because the 90 days is very close to happening...
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X