• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sudoku Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Me too.

It was originally coined by Ximenes
    I see that Azed gets a mention. I stopped bothering with the Observer crossword 20 years ago when I found I could do it as fast as I could write the answers down.

I liked to do the Telegraph crossword on the way home when I was commuting by train. There was just enough time to do most or all of it before my destination and it was a good way to switch off from work.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Back in the late Seventies a new local paper (actually a re-branded old local paper) was launched in the town where I then lived. It featured a cryptic crossword with a prize - a twenty quid book token, or some such. Unfortunately, in the very first edition, they printed the wrong grid for the clues.

Seven readers managed to work out what the grid should have been and submitted hand-drawn entries

They gave all of them a prize, and quite right too

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        I've got a little application on my PDA that generates sudoku puzzles called Superdoku, it's very enjoyable on the harder levels.

I don't see sudoku as terrifically challenging it's just a nice mental diversion which is probably what it's designed for.

Good fun as a personal entertainment.
        So's pot noodling!

Comment

Another Killer Sudoku fan here. Normal ones just don't do it for me.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Another Killer Sudoku fan here. Normal ones just don't do it for me.
            I found Sudoku proper too dull - I wrote solver in Excel, so really it's far too easy. Killer seems less susceptible. I've seen a few solvers but they don't work on the really difficult ones. Killer seems to involve more lateral thinking.

Crosswords - when I was on a very slow contract, we used to do the Times. At the end of six months, I could usually do it within 15 minutes. The Listener crossword, on the other hand, is much more challenging. I've only ever solved 3 of the non-numeric ones. Sometimes, I don't even understand the preamble.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I found Sudoku proper too dull - I wrote solver in Excel, so really it's far too easy. Killer seems less susceptible. I've seen a few solvers but they don't work on the really difficult ones. Killer seems to involve more lateral thinking.

Crosswords - when I was on a very slow contract, we used to do the Times. At the end of six months, I could usually do it within 15 minutes. The Listener crossword, on the other hand, is much more challenging. I've only ever solved 3 of the non-numeric ones. Sometimes, I don't even understand the preamble.

In an average week I'd finish The Times twice, get close once and be nowhere the other two days. I've switched to The Telegraph now as I sometimes like to read the paper as well and I'm just getting to grips with the crosswords there.

You are right about lateral thinking for killer Sudoku. There is pattern recognition involved and several different methods of number placement evaluation which you don't have in Sudoku which is much more straightforward to solve. For the more difficult Killers I would definitely see problems writing a solver program.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I al;so wrote my own sudoku solver. Though I never got a far as solving x-wing or triple x-wing. I wish I had that much time.....

Comment

Working...
                X