• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead end tools and technologies you wished you hadn't bothered with

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telephones.

Leave me alone for just 5 minutes, FFS.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Yes I forgot the eco friendly requirement

“Reduce paperwork and save a tree”

7 more weeks, 7 more weeks
      In my mainframe days I became convinced that IBM had shares in forestry and paper mills.

In "We really need a 1200 line per minute printer" mode.
      (we got one too )
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        In my mainframe days I became convinced that IBM had shares in forestry and paper mills.

In "We really need a 1200 line per minute printer" mode.
        (we got one too )

I dont know about nowardays but BigBlue was once the biggest Publishers in the World.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Munch View Post
          Commodore BASIC, Sinclair BASIC, Amstrad BASIC, BBC BASIC
          I helped a neighbour's daughter with a BBC BASIC project for school. The book she had (recommended by some education department or other) not only promoted the use of GOTO but devoted a whole chapter to saying how useful it was.

I delegated the job to one of our junior programmers

Now where's that :screaming: smiley?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            I dont know about nowardays but BigBlue was once the biggest Publishers in the World.
            Can't beat a good red book (to get you to sleep at night).
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Can't beat a good red book (to get you to sleep at night).
              I prefer a Blue Book for insomnia.

You know VTAM Buffer internals - NCP Diagnostic Trace - that kinda stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I am slightly annoyed that only a few months ago I chucked out a book on Symbian programming that I brought to develop for the Psion some years ago only to discover recently that the latest Nokia phones use Symbian.
                Ditto. Rats. The Psion was a disaster too. The last couple I bought died within a few months and I learnt the hard way that when you've bought stuff in duty free you can't simply "take it back to the shop".

VAX DATATRIEVE. I gather later versions were much improved but the one I had available was so "unpredictable" that you could have written the COBOL equivalent faster by the time you got it working. Associated with DATATRIEVE was an 'orrible data dictionary called CDD which also had the merit of being as slow as molasses.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  VuTrax for dos... ( another £1600 down the tubes).
                  Delphi. About a thousand quid (special offer) for the full development license which allowed you to distribute the run time Interbase binaries.

I quite liked it, but the marketplace didn't.

Comment

dBase IV

Mercator

Comment

Oh yeh, Forth. Forgot that one.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X