• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sensible investment ideas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Why not buy a bigger house in the UK and then sell in 2 years time, and double your money?
    Dream on.Will be lucky if prices double over the next 15-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
      Dream on.Will be lucky if prices double over the next 15-20 years.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8194768.stm

I reckon prices will double in the next few weeks at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        So, I'm just about done paying off my debts, have about 6 months worth of warchest in the bank and I'm looking to start investing about £1k a month.

Do the panel have any particular recommendations? I'm looking fairly short term (1-2 years) before I take it all out and disappear off to Oz
        How about buying Ozzie shares? That will cover some of your currency risk. There was a report going round a short while ago (I can't find it now [edit: see below]) projecting strength in the commodity currencies, such as AUD etc, as the global economy recovers.

Edit:
        I remember now. It was Nouriel Roubini. Here is what the Telegraph reported.
        Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 11 August 2009, 10:33. Reason: I'm an old man and the memory is not so fast these days
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          Not actually such a stupid idea: they've got (or at least should have) a near-sovereign rating.
          Yes. But that is the UK sovereign rating which in six months time will be worth zip.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8194768.stm

I reckon prices will double in the next few weeks at this rate.

I won`t take much notice of what is reported regarding prices until real liquidity returns.

I don`t think we`ll see quick upward movement in house prices unless banks go back to their naughty ways. If prices are still out of reach for many people (based on 3*salary), what will drive the market quickly higher?

I`m a BTL`er but my gut feeling is that the days of such dramatic moves upwards in house prices are gone for now.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
              I won`t take much notice of what is reported regarding prices until real liquidity returns.

I don`t think we`ll see quick upward movement in house prices unless banks go back to their naughty ways. If prices are still out of reach for many people (based on 3*salary), what will drive the market quickly higher?

I`m a BTL`er but my gut feeling is that the days of such dramatic moves upwards in house prices are gone for now.
              WHS.

Actually, keep an eye out on the mortgage trade press in w/c 24th August.

Comment

. If prices are still out of reach for many people (based on 3*salary), what will drive the market quickly higher?

A new Factor of say * 5 salary should boot the housing engine back into HyperBoom mode,

Comment

Working...
                X