• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go?

Thanks to those with the earnest replies, I shall be considering my position carefully.

scooterscot
    Last edited by scooterscot; 9 November 2005, 12:22.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by [email protected]
    I’m a contractor in the defence industry and my client has offered to renew my contract this December. Great. BUT, two other contracts have been offered to me (without seeking) offering improved rates. I’ve made the client aware of my status and they may offer to match other rates, however if they don’t? Do I leave, possibly upsetting them, and go for an improved rate? Or do I stay and maintain a good relationship with the client?

Thanks,

Fraser
    Take the money..............no open the box............no....ad inf.

Please, you are a grown up. If you leave then do it diplomatically, if you are any good they will always have you back.
    Rates are improving in some defence jobs so dont limit yourself. Do you think your client would show any loyalty to you?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Hang on the contract is ending.

You're not the only person in the world that does this job it justs costs them more to replace you than if you remain, at the same rate.

No tell them what you want and let them decide what is cheapest for them.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I agree with Blaster.

By the way, are you sure you want your email address shown like that?

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Stay put unless:

1. You are in a dead end contract using outdated skills and the mere thought of turning up in the morning makes you physically sick.
          2. Your current contract has little time left to run and there is no prospect of a renewal.
          3. Your current contract is paying peanuts well below the going rate.
          4. The alternatives are paying obscene shedloads more cash (aka the offer you cannot refuse)
          5. The alternatives are guaranteed income for a long time with a couple of renewals almost certain.
          6. The alternatives are giving you the opportunity to get trained up on some sexy new technology, experience in which will set you up for years to come in these or other easily obtained contracts.

Comment

I agree with Lucifer Box.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

"Do I leave, possibly upsetting them, and go for an improved rate? Or do I stay and maintain a good relationship with the client?"

Shouldn't questions like this be under some sort of 101 for newbies, along with such things as 'Should I wear a tie to my first interview'?

"Please, you are a grown up."

Exactly...

Comment

I agree with Joe Black.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                  I agree with Lucifer Box.
                  Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieC
                    By the way, are you sure you want your email address shown like that?
                    I would say it is probably not the most sensible idea. You get all sorts on here...

Your spam filter will be on overtime.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X