• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pendragon - a warning for you contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pendragon - a warning for you contractors

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

I went for an interview with a client in Exeter mid June 2009 and I was told that the client wanted to offer me the gig but had issues with my high rate. I was asked if I would consider £75pd less by the agency. I had to say yes, and was then told that they would put this new offer to the client.
    A week passes and not a word from the agency, so I called them for a sit rep. They then told me that the client is having trouble with procurement but they were still interested in me. At this point I picked up on the agency not sounding very comfortable by me calling them and they even suggested that I shouldn't call them, they'd call me when they have more news. There was some slight empathy on the part of the agency, saying they understood why I was calling and that they had warned the client that the contractors would be offered gigs elsewhere etc.,
    6 weeks pass, no word from agency, so I call them and was given the same bull$h it again. I decided to contact the client direct.
    Cutting the story short, the client told me that I had not been offered the role and that this information had been passed to the agency the day after the interview.

Agency name: PENDRAGON IS
    Agency Rep: Richard Crowcombe (who had the cheek to send me a request to recommend him on linkedin!!)

In my experience, agents hardly ever tell you straight out and promptly that you didn't get a gig, even if you ring to enquire.

I think their main reason is that if the preferred candidate pulls out then they can fall back on you. But also it's in their interest to keep you hanging on in case anything else turns up.

But to lie like that by saying you did get the role when you hadn't, and then spin it out for weeks, sounds well out of order even by agency standards.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is another of the reasons why I left the contracting game.

I never understood why they do this. Why give the impression that an application is still live when it is not. It can screw around with other applications that may be going on at the same time.

The only way is to have a 48hr time-out. No news after that, mark it as failed and the agency as dodgy.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I hope you have emailed him with a link to your post.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          .. The only way is to have a 48hr time-out. No news after that, mark it as failed and the agency as dodgy.
          That would work most of the time, and in a thriving market it would be fine. But sometimes contract decisions *are* delayed by clients for days and even weeks, especially at this time of year. Happened to me a few months ago, and not for the first time.

All the same, a verbal offer isn't worth squat, and despite the temptation to ease off or stop looking at that point, one should carry on applying for other roles regardless until contracts are signed.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I still have contacts working at the client site - some very usefull ones too Whahaahaaa!

Comment

report them to the PCG, I think they are members, also shop them to REC Professional standards [email protected]

I got the address from pcg site
              http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...27&Itemid=1047

Comment

I possibly would report them had I any written evidence. Shame.

Comment

Btw OP not sure why you've put without prejudice at the top of that - it has no meaning in this context

Comment

I thought I would insert it 'just in case'...

Comment

Working...
                    X