• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

McKinnon to be extradited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I would be careful about labelling someone like Professor Baron-Cohen an "alleged doctor" on a public forum, if I were you, Alexei.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Alleged

"1 : asserted to be true or to exist <an alleged miracle>"

Usage of word "alleged" is actually a sign of very careful language.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Alleged

"1 : asserted to be true or to exist <an alleged miracle>"

Usage of word "alleged" is actually a sign of very careful language.
      When the title of medical doctor implies a medical knowledge the use of alleged is quite clearly a slight in the person's ability and training.

What you have been saying is quite clearly libelous and you would be taken to task in a court over your comments.

Comment

When the title of medical doctor implies a medical knowledge the use of alleged is quite clearly a slight in the person's ability and training.
        I have not seen name of that doctor nor his title (Professor), I linked to Wikipedia page but read from it only relevant information that I was looking for.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        What you have been saying is quite clearly libelous and you would be taken to task in a court over your comments.
        I don't think so, usage of word "alleged" relates to assertion made by others, such as that article on Wikipedia. Do I know if it's 100% certainly true? No, so being careful I can always say "alleged" and reference the source who made such allegation (Wikipedia in this case).

HTH

Comment

Here is some more English lessons for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegation

"An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved."

IANAL but usage of word "alleged" does NOT make one liable, quiet the contrary I think - it passes the liability down to the source that made the allegation in the first place.
          Last edited by AtW; 29 November 2009, 18:52.

Comment

maybe so, but we have six witnesses here that will testify.

you are going DOWN.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              maybe so, but we have six witnesses here that will testify.

you are going DOWN.
              More like I am going back to work - finishing what I wanted to do for more than a year finally

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Here is some more English lessons for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegation

"An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved."

IANAL but usage of word "alleged" does make one liable, quiet the contrary I think - it passes the liability down to the source that made the allegation in the first place.
                No, you crossed the line by stating that it was an 'alledged' doctor, you then went on to question that doctor's diagnosis. You knew a diagnosis had been made or you would have used alleged diagnosis but you quite clearly decided to question the doctor's decision and his ability to pratice medicine.

You used the word 'alleged' not on the belief that there was a doctor behind the decision but on his ability, the GMC are very proactive on persons questioning their members ability.

Comment

No, you crossed the line by stating that it was an 'alledged' doctor, you then went on to question that doctor's diagnosis. You knew a diagnosis had been made or you would have used alleged diagnosis but you quite clearly decided to question the doctor's decision and his ability to pratice medicine.
                  Any doctor (alleged or otherwise) can make mistake, say in my case Soviet doctor made mistake and did not diagnose astma correctly. In other cases in this country doctors fail to diagnose correctly, these things do happen.

If you think I crossed the line then go and sue me.

You used the word 'alleged' not on the belief that there was a doctor behind the decision but on his ability, the GMC are very proactive on persons questioning their members ability.
                  Was Mr Harold Shipman member of GMC?

Anyway, stop your lame attempts to scare me with taking action on behalf of other people - speak for yourself, and don't threaten other people with lawsuits unless you intend to go through all the way.

HTH

Comment

You were the one threating me when I asked you if you had permission to scrape web sites. Remember that? I told you to stop watching Judging Amy.

"Choose you words carefully"

How I laughed.. getting a call from SKA's lawyers in the morning...

"Hello, I a Popov, My client has said you do not like his screen scraper"

Comment

You were the one threating me when I asked you if you had permission to scrape web sites. Remember that? I told you to stop watching Judging Amy.
                      I did not threaten you, instead I explained clearly that what we is legal. I mentioned that you should carefully use your words because unlike yourself I am public, so this means that wrong (libelous) word from you can actually cause real damage, where as (funnily enough) one can't libel a forum account that is not openly linked to real person in real life, funny UK laws eh?

"Choose you words carefully"
                      How I laughed.. getting a call from SKA's lawyers in the morning...
                      "Hello, I a Popov, My client has said you do not like his screen scraper"
                      You don't to like it, that's up to you. What I'd rather you not do is false claim it is breaking some laws or doing anything what McKinnon did by way of analogy.

Comment

Working...
                      X