• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contractors - Whose Arse Do You Need to Kiss On First Day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best contractor ass kisser i have worked with mingled with all the big kn0bs, and for that he got away with calling in sick and working from home and getting paid for it. He also claimed that he starts work the min he boarded the train from birmingham @ 08:00am to canary wharf. To prove this he would send an email round about that time. Strolls in close to 10am, hangs about with the big kn0bs, chases up a few updates off which he would cc the big kn0bs plus the individual asking why xyz has not been completed or why xyz was logged incorrectly. He made sure he left the premises @ 16:30pm. He would send an email at 22:30 every day and cc all the big kn0bs so they know he is working.

Fair play to the dude but for me i just come in and do my time, know the system, lay low, once in a while do the tea rounds and go to the pubs when offered. Thats as much ass kissing i can handle. If they like me all good if they dont i move on.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
      So I ve aways been a permie - My question is pretty simple

If you want to do well and succeed and have your contract renewed, what mindset does a contractor need to take?

Does he need to cut corners and deliver buggy software so you will appear busy?

Does he need to say yes to all work and just do it?

What happens if you get asked to estimate how long something will take and you cannot? Do you guess?

What qualities of a contractor really make them succeed?
      Not mine. I hate arselickers, sycophants, favour curriers etc.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        favour curriers
        Having to work with someone who gives out free curries? I could bear that burden!

Bring on the chutney spoon!
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
        X