• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekend trip ideas (UK)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/swindon/home

Comment

Durham's very pleasant. Small town, lots of history, students have all left for the summer so you can get a seat in a coffee-shop...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
        Was advised that Cotswolds is a nice area to visit but unclear whether there is actually anything to do there (apart from watch the sunset...).

Or Leeds Castle (in Kent) - anyone been there yet?

Have already visited : Warwick/Stratford-Upon-Avon, Bath, Bournemouth, Canterbury, Brighton. Also done Paris by train.

Ideally don't want to drive more than 2 hours out of London. Any other places that you can recommend?
        So I take it that Dublin or Edinburgh is out of the question then? Both nice places to go for a holiday.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          So I take it that Dublin or Edinburgh is out of the question then? Both nice places to go for a holiday.
          Go to Glasgow. Much better than both

Comment

What about Australia? Slightly out of your 2 hr drive, but lovely to visit.

Or there's the Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              Go to Glasgow. Much better than both
              Good god in Govan, they eat outsiders in Glasgow. I'm going to St Andrews for the weekend, leave in 30 minutes, staying in the 5 star fairmont.

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
                Lincoln is nice enough if you like a big church and a castle.
                Probably just more than 2 hours drive but easily reachable on the train in under 2 hours.
                But you must be at the cathedral by 2pm sharp for the roof tour, otherwise the old bags^D dears start without you!

Also, Lincoln Castle is only a couple of hundred yards up the road from the Cathedral and is well worth a tour. (They hold one of the few remaining copies of Magna Carta.)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If you are determined to drive then Bristol is a city I like, or Somerset if you prefer countryside (Taunton/Minehead/Exmoor).

It will take more than 2 hours to get there but not too much (depending on where in London you start from).

Comment

Why not try York? Full of history, and it's less than 2 hours from Kings Cross by train. By car it's going to be more than 3 hours though.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'd rather spend a weekend in Bradford. It's got far more than 4 tourist attractions.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X