• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning guitar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    He can play jazz - he just despises it. ( Probably 'cos his grandad is a jazz musician... )

I beg to differ - as it happens I can play the classics which I happen to like - Debussy , Bach Rachmaninov etc all based on my Knowledege of Jazz - they are different mediums of musical expression - but both require a knowledge of musical theory which is consistent in both cases.

Believe it or not - you have to be able to play all piano scales and chromatics to be a reasonable jazz Pianist - its not all flash improvisation you know.

And - it dont mean a thing if it aint got swing.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 July 2009, 07:04.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      hmmm. i'm with frank zappa on this. learn the seven chords and then shut up and play yer guitar!
      Good Album - I think the best ever electric guitar sols was Zappas sublime 'Zombty Woof' from the album Overnight Sensation - Fleet was a big Zappa fan - bless him.

Comment

I think Jazz piano is a lot harder than Jazz guitar, because once you have a "lick" you can simply transpose, so in effect you can learn this stuff more or less without having the musical theory. I do classical guitar, but I learnt blues more or less by playing around, and then with Jazz admittedly I did a few exercises but eventually got a hang of the feeling, adapt the blues patterns to be jazz patterns, a got the hang of the Jazz 12 bar chord progression, and then away you go. Have no idea about chromatic progressions but throw in a heap of cool dischordant notes in my Jazz licks.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X