• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning guitar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I now need some advice on good sources of learning. Where do I start?
    I'd suggest you get yourself along to a teacher to show you the basics.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      I'd suggest you get yourself along to a teacher to show you the basics.
      No need if you're enthusiastic and willing to put the time in.

I bought a guitar and Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar Playing Book 1, twelve months later I did my first gig and never looked back.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

mel bay would be a good resource

Comment

Things turn out better by accident sometimes.

But you can't organize accidents.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Things turn out better by accident sometimes.

But you can't organize accidents.
            Talent will out...
            Me, me, me...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW--Charanga-...QQcmdZViewItem

when you get to a reasonable standard you can learn songs free from youtube

just type the <song name> followed by 'lesson'
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Having played the guitar for some 30 years now I say you are off to a bad start - its much better to learn the guitar on an acoustic rather than an electric.

Your fingertips will hurt - the key to really enjoying the guitar is that remember your strumming technique is extremely important - most folks get caught up in trying to remember the chord shape of say Eflat mior seven - and neglect the strumming.

That approach means you will end up paicking in it after nine months.

in fact you only need to know a handful of chrods to really get rocking - I play jazz piano too so I know all about musical theory - but for the guitar - trust me you only need to know a few major chrods and their relative minors - and youre away.

Pick up my Guitar
                And Play
                Just like Yesterday
                And I Get on my knees and pray ...
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 16 July 2009, 08:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  ...If you're really crap just turn up the volume and no-one will ever know...
                  gain

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  ...I play jazz piano too so I know all about musical theory ...
                  nothing
                  At least, that's what my son told me to say... (he's a pretty good classical pianist).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    nothing
                    At least, that's what my son told me to say... (he's a pretty good classical pianist).
                    but wrong.

Comment

He can play jazz - he just despises it. ( Probably 'cos his grandad is a jazz musician... )
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X