• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ronnie Biggs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a practical viewpoint the main criteria for prison must surely be to protect the public from risk. He isn't one any more and that cell must have a better use. Other much more dangerous sorts have been released recently.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      From a practical viewpoint the main criteria for prison must surely be to protect the public from risk. He isn't one any more and that cell must have a better use. Other much more dangerous sorts have been released recently.
      There is also a punishment aspect that is loss of liberty.
      To get early release an offender has to play the game. They have to take part in rehabilitation programmes and must show remorse, oh and not go on the run for 35 years.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        It's only one cell and we'll be getting it back soon anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Deserves everything he gets as far as I am concerned.

Just because he has become an infirm old man does not mean he should be released.

He was sentenced to 30 years for a reason (Edwards only got 15). He only served one before he did one. He spent 35 years living it up and taking the piss.
          He has to do the rest of his sentence, absconding removes his eligability for early release.
          Well said that man! The bastard even had the audacity to release a single with (what was left of) the Sex Pistols called "No one is innocent".

I am, you piece of human offal, I haven't robbed a train and then stuck 2 fingers up at the UK from South America.

Deport him back there if he wants freedom.

Maybe we should let Ian Brady out because, awwwwww, he's getting old now. Tough $hit, they knew the risks!
          Last edited by wobbegong; 1 July 2009, 23:05.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            Well said that man! The bastard even had the audacity to release a single with (what was left of) the Sex Pistols called "No one is innocent".

I am, you piece of human offal, I haven't robbed a train and then stuck 2 fingers up at the UK from South America.

Deport him back there if he wants freedom.

Maybe we should let Ian Brady out because, awwwwww, he's getting old now. Tough $hit, they knew the risks!
            Different case. Ian Brady is mentally ill and knows it, hence his detention in a hospital.

As for getting the jail cell back, Ronnie Biggs is a near-permanent resident now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital so the Home Office have their cell back (albeit that we're now paying for his treatment under the NHS).

Comment

I wonder if the family of the guy who had his life ruined by these jolly chappies thinks Biggs should be released?

Remarkable that Biggs was given 30 years when all he did was go for a drive in the countryside to watch a train get robbed isn't it?

He was given 30 years...had he done his time when he should have he would be out now and this question wouldn't have arisen. He escaped, so now he has to deal with dying. Tough.

What really concerns me is that I find myself agreeing with a labour politician. I shall have to spend the day sticking forks in my leg now as penance.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I've read a few books about the GTR and everyone's account was that he wasn't hit hard, and they sat with him and gave him cigarettes till they left, they even offered to leave him some money.

30 years back then, when murderers and rapists were getting under 10???

They were made examples of.
                l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
                  I've read a few books about the GTR and everyone's account was that he wasn't hit hard, and they sat with him and gave him cigarettes till they left, they even offered to leave him some money.

30 years back then, when murderers and rapists were getting under 10???

They were made examples of.
                  So the people who did it said they didn't hit him hard and that his symptoms after that were all in his head (scuse the pun).

Well that's ok then.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Koshing someone is so much worse than raping and murding someone isn't it...
                    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
                      Koshing someone is so much worse than raping and murding someone isn't it...
                      Oh yes that'll really improve things won't it? Lets have a legal/penal system where people know that if they can escape the country by whatever means, and hide for a few years, their sentence will be reduced by virtue of the fact that they are a little older and the sentencing might have changed.

He got 30 years. Had he not bogged off and sunned himself for a couple of decades, lording it up and taking the mick out of the people he left behind (note - this guy has never expressed an OUNCE of remorse), he would have served a damn sight more than the 10 years he is trying to get away with now.

As far as I (and anyone with a brain) is concerned, if you escape, you do the full sentence. Period.

Gawd save us all from liberal do-gooders.

Comment

Working...
                      X