• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID cards will not be compulsory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    This is bad news for contractors.

Whatever you may think about the rights and the (many) wrongs of ID cards, the simple fact is that an enormous amount of contract work (direct or indirect) has now been shelved. This means:

* More contractors on the bench

* Longer time on the bench

* Lower rates

I know there are a few principled, moral high-horse types on this board these days, but when push comes to shove contracting comes first.
    Wasn't it all going to be outsourced to on-site Indians anyway?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      This is bad news for contractors.
      Presumably that's what the mustard gas manufacturers said. And the land mine makers said. Etc.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Instead, the Home Office is now concentrating on the cards being useful for youngsters to prove their age when going in to pubs.
        Worth every penny then
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          I call bulltulip on this!

There is no way they're going to drop ID cards. All the government stooge is doing is making some noises that journos are interpreting as saying they're going to drop ID cards, which they won't.

They're keeping them for all that already have them, and you can still apply for one if you need it. Just watch as they increase the places where you 'need it'

So don't y'all worry, the ID card gravy train will still be arriving.
          Absolutely correct - they will demand "your papers" for loads of government services.

They want our fingerprints for their database - so they'll say they are needed for "biometric passports" (which isn't true) and do it that way.

The database will be inaccurate and badly managed, like the DVLA and they will deny any possibility that they can make errors (like the DVLA) even when they are obviously wrong. Employees will sell data on (like the DVLA) to special interest groups or thugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Employees will sell data on (like the DVLA) to special interest groups or thugs.
            Is it just you and me that heard about that? The outraged scandal never seemed to happen.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Presumably that's what the mustard gas manufacturers said. And the land mine makers said. Etc.
              Maybe. Whatever. But we're talking about ID cards, not weapons of war!
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Perhaps the Gov will realise this is a waste of money and scrap, the idea, the money they save could be used to fund the scrapping of IR35, (Plus a lot more!)
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

From BBC news article:

"Some 3,500 UK citizens have already applied for the cards."
                  Well, that's a good start isn't it. Only 60 million more to go then.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                    Perhaps the Gov will realise this is a waste of money and scrap, the idea, the money they save could be used to fund the scrapping of IR35, (Plus a lot more!)
                    Finally! Someone on the board with a proper sense of humor.
                    Bored.

Comment

Osborne said yesterday that he would be looking at scrapping the NHS IT project too.

Comment

Working...
                      X