• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tipping the hairdresser!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to tip if I'm in work. When I'm benched I tend to think how lucky they are to have regular income, and begrudge even paying the standard price.

Where I live there is a traditional barbers who only charges 7.50 (IIRC). However it's one of those places where you always have to wait for a hour, and the magazines on offer (car stuff etc) have zero appeal to me - you're not going to get .Net or Wired magazine at a barbers. I go to a more modern barbers that charges 10 or 11, but you normally get served within 10 minutes of arriving. I hate sitting around in barbers.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Speaking of terminology, what in the world is a "B,S+C waxing" ?!

Back, sack and crack..

HTH

Comment

Of course.

£8 haircut done well = Tip. The salon is earning £32 quid an hour and the stylist is earning about £8 an hour.

£20 haircut done well = fat chance. The stylist if badly paid they should ask for a raise.

I tend to frequent the < £10 hour ones at odd times so I don't wait. They tend to give better cuts. I'm always polite to anyone with sharp implements near my face.

If I don't give a tip then I wasn't satisfied, if they are too arrogant to take the hint then tough. I have arguments with the wife about not leaving a tip after suffering poor service. Good service and I try to tip well.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I get my wife to do it nowadays. Too much "not in work today then?" "do you watch EastEnders?" bollocks for me.

Our clippers must have paid for themselves 20 times over by now.

But back in the day I would do it if they just got on with it and didn't talk to me. Or if it was the Italian bloke I used before he retired who was quite funny.

Comment

I've a chap in Greenwich who trims what remains of my hair regularly and who charges me £9 which also includes a head massage - I'll always give him a £10 and haven't yet had the audacity to ask for change.

Comment

Mr Gonzo Senior says that not many people tip and that he doesn't expect it.

What he does like is that one of his regulars is a jockey who often stops in for a trim on his way to the racecourse and gives the nod for one of his rides in the afternoon.

In New Labour speak these tips are "aspirations" rather than "commitments" though and he rarely makes a profit out of them.

Comment

Working...
              X